msec 4, mdk 8.2, sshd, 2Wire homeportal 100. . . . help! :)

Guest unilluminatus

Guest unilluminatus

OK, I've searched and searched, but cannot find a solution to my problem. Prior to re-installing my Mandrake 8.2 system, I was able to access my server while away from home using SSH and forwarding through my 2Wire HomePortal 100. It worked just fine.

After re-installing Mandrake 8.2 recently (it was actually less painful to do this than to pare the system down manually to what I really wanted installed) I decided to try out msec with a level 4 security setting.

That has proven problematic for SSH connections. I have everything working fine from inside my local network by adding a line to /etc/hosts.allow. I turned on ICMP echoes so that the HomePortal could see my server. But now, even w/ an line /etc/hosts.allow like this: sshd:ALL:ALLOW, I still cannot connect to the server from outside my local network. I get a connection refused error. This remains the same even when I changed down to msec level 3.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? I'll happily go into more detail. :)

Regards, and TIA,

Marc

Guest davebsr

I would update to MDK 9 - it allows much better configuration of msec. I noticed this bug too - msec 3 doesn't undo what msec 4 does, it only applies msec 3's stuff. There are config files, that you can change...but I don't know what they are.

If you insist on staying with 8.2, and it's nice i'll give you that, try checking your firewall and some other security settings. If you have any luck, post back and let us know.

Guest unilluminatus

Well I finally figured it out. msec is simply not playing nicely w/ my dynamic DNS updater, ddclient (http://www.dyndns.org/). I'm not sure what the source of the problem is, but when ddclient is running in daemon mode, it fails to update the DNS record (this was not a problem under my previous, non-msec'ed installation of MDK 8.2) when the dynamic IP on my DSL router changes.

So now I have ddclient running in an hourly cron job instead of as a daemon, and that seems to be working at the moment.