vmlinuz doesn't recognize DVD

Guest MarkWM

Hello everyone,

Trying to install Mandriva Linux Free Spring '09 from a DVD. (Don't have broadband so this is a

purchased DVD to give me a leg up on an installation with as many apps available as possible.)

Booting from the DVD flashes a complaint about BIOS that I've not been able to read or even

photograph with a digital camera. No other distro has made this complaint.

Vmlinuz then loads, installs needed drivers, then stalls interminably while looking for CD. Note

"CD" NOT DVD, it doesn't recognize the possibilty of a DVD. Reboot is needed to escape from

dialogue.

Based on instructions on the Mandriva wiki, I decided to try an install from HD. Copied the DVD

(file copy, NOT an ISO) to a free partition on the HD. Burned the boot.iso to a CD. Booted from

the CD, pointed the installer to the HD partition. Install went perfectly but for a complaint

about 1 file not being available (didn't note exact file, but seemed to be a motherboard temp

monitor).

Reboot brought up grub and a working copy of Mandriva.

However it won't recognize the HD files as source repositories. Haven't been able to establish an

internet connection through the modem. I can set up the modem, make the connection successfully,

and log on, but no app seems to recognize the connection. "Testing" the internet connection

through the network wizard returns an error "you do not seem to be connected" even though it has

made a successful connect.

Unable to "Add" sources by pointing to the DVD because the wizard insists on first looking to the

internet, which it fails to succeed in doing.

So it would seem I need to find a way to install properly from the DVD, and the basic problem is

that vmlinuz looks for a CD, not a DVD, in fact "DVD" is never an option.

Next best would seem to be to purchase a Linux One CD,install that and hope it will accept the

DVD as a source repository.

Any suggestions welcome.

Mark

You can add a local directory as repository by typing the following command in a terminal (as 'root' user):

urpmi.addmedia --update "some_name" file:///some/directory/path

If you mess something up you can use urpmi.removemedia to remove the added repository again.

I don't think you need to reinstall, it just seems these minor issues need to be fixed.

Edited by tux99

You can add a local directory as repository by typing the following command in a terminal (as 'root' user):

urpmi.addmedia --update "some_name" file:///some/directory/path

thanks, will give that a try

MarkWM

Tux99,

Thanks, that sorted out the major problem and I now have an install with sources. Bit of fiddling with syntax of course, but eventually sussed it.

Now just need to wrestle with the modem/internet problem, but I have it working on OpenSUSE11, so it can be done.

MarkWM

Haven't been able to establish an

internet connection through the modem. I can set up the modem, make the connection successfully,

and log on, but no app seems to recognize the connection.

To help you with this you need to give us further details.

How did you set up the modem?

How do you determine the connection is up successfully?

Which apps have you tried that don't seem to recognize the connection?

What errors do you get?

A modem connection to the internet is normally setup via the MCC ('Mandriva Linux Control Center', aka 'Configure Your Computer'), under 'Network & Internet' by clicking on 'Set up a new network interface'.

Once the connection is up successfully, have you checked, that you have a valid IP address and a default gateway and DNS servers?

You can check the IP address with the following command line command in a terminal:

ifconfig

the default gateway with:

route -n

and the DNS servers by looking at the file /etc/resolv.conf once connected.

Then you could try to ping some IP address, first your default gateway, then your DNS servers and then some well known websites like for example mandrivausers.org :) .

If all that is successful then Firefox and other Internet apps should work too.

Hi tux99,

To help you with this you need to give us further details.

How did you set up the modem?

How do you determine the connection is up successfully?

Which apps have you tried that don't seem to recognize the connection?

What errors do you get?

Sorry for the slow reponse. I've been working on this on and off over the past several days

between 'real' work <g>.

As in most distros, I originally set up my modem and ISP connection via KpppDialer. When I would

then instruct it to connect it would, successfully according to the Log: Connect.

However no app would recognize that there was a valid connection: Firefox, Ping, etc.

So I then used the MCC connection Wizard to set up the modem & ISP. The last step for that is

"Test Your Connection". It would dial, make a connection (verified by the modem lights - this is

an external Zoom modem, not a winmodem & has worked in half a dozen or more distros), but after a

few seconds would report that I did not seem to have a connection, when in fact I still did.

Visiting a number of sites, I finally noted this in one of the Madndriva Club's How-To's:

>>Connection establishes, holds, but you can't get anywhere

>

> * Being offline, run

>

> /sbin/route -n

>

> as root. There shouldn't be any entry starting with '0.0.0.0'. Such an entry means that

>there already is a default route on your system. In this case, run

>

> /sbin/route del default

>

> . Try to find out what sets this default route.<<

Opening a console, and following the instructions, I found I did indeed have a last line starting

"0.0.0.0", which I then deleted as instructed.

Opening KpppDialer then immediately brought a Connect along with "You Are Successfully Connected

to the Network"

Cheers all around <vbg>

My guess is that the initial install detected my ethernet router and set it as the default

0.0.0.0, and then refused to allow any other device to establish a network connection. Just a

guess.

In my travels around many Linux websites, I saw a significant # of people reporting a similar

problem with this version of Mandriva. Suggested solutions were typically to use KppDialer or the

MCC wizard to set up the connection, but I wonder how many might suffer from a situation similar to

mine and perhaps this solution needs added to the bag of tricks?

In any event, I very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks

MarkWM