New MB alsamixer error

jimw

Well, I'm pretty close to a beginner, and this may have been covered in another thread.

However, I have a machine running mandrake 9.1, with KDE. My wife has Windows 95. We each have our own internet access, and printer cable. Back last year when I was using Windows, we had a network whereby we could share files back and forth. However, now that I've gone to linux, we have to start over again. (She will not switch, so don't suggest it.)

What kind of procedure do I have to go through to set up a peer to peer network between us?

Near as I can make out, the first thing to do is to get samba running. There are three samba files included with my Mandrake 9.1, one of which is documentation, the other is swat, and the third is windbind. Are these all necessary? (No problem with space, just wondering.) (And of course, are these all that are necessary?)

Second, what is the procedure for setting up the network? In a step by step fashion, for someone who isn't terribly sophisticated, technology-wise?

And I supose that'll be enough to go on with for a bit.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks

Your right in saying that you will need Samba running to share your files. There is a Mandrake Wizard to set up up a Samba server, which is quite easy to use. Run the Mandrake package installer and do a search for "wizard" and the MDK wizard package should appear. Next time you open the Control Centre you should see an extra tab for the wizards. The Samba wizard should install the required files and set it up for you.

To access her files you'll need the Samba client installed, and also a LAN browser. In theory Konqueror ha a built in LAN browser but I've never got it to work. Instead I use Komba2 which works really well and is pretty straight forward to set up.

How you set up the network depends on how your connecting the computers together. Are you connecting them together directly with cross-over cable or do you have some kind of hub/switch?

Thanks for all the info. I'll do the preliminaries right away.

How you set up the network depends on how your connecting the computers together. Are you connecting them together directly with cross-over cable or do you have some kind of hub/switch?

We're using a hub (Linksys router).

Jim

The chances are that your hub has a DHCP server on it, so it can dish out IP addresses to machines on the network (it should say in manual). If so it makes things a lot simpler. Connect your Linux machine to the hub and power both up.

Mandrake Control Centre -> Network & Internet Tab -> Network Settings Icon

This brings you to the controls for the network. If you then click on the wizard button a new window should open up. Once you are past the welcome let it autodetect your network hardware and it should find your network card. If it finds the modem as well then un-select it for the moment. The next screen should ask you for the an IP address and Sub Net Mask, select the obtain automatically option. On the next screen you can ignore the http & ftp proxy settings (at least for the moment). It should ask you if you want to re-start the network, select yes. Hopefully at this point it will connect and after a few minutes you should see an IP address appear back in MDK Control Centre.

A good test of whether the basic network settings are working is pinging another machine on the network. The hub will normally allocate itself 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 as an IP address but it should tell you in the manual. In a terminal window try:

ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the address is).

You should see numbers appearing on the screen, if so its working. As you've already had a Windows network working I'm guessing you know how to get the Win95 machine up and running. Once the Windows machine is running try pinging each machine from the other. I would recommend getting the basic network up and running reliably before you start playing with Samba.

I hope this helps and doesn't just go over stuff you already know. Either way let me know how you get on.

Note: Make sure you de-activate the firewall before setting up the network. I have found it works a lot better if you set up the firewall after the network connection. The settings for the firewall can be foudn in MDK Control Centre under the security tab.