realplayer on 9.2?

Guest hyades

After I installed replayer8, the GUI interface (on KDE) could be brought up, but it did not play anything, except that the progress bar (or time bar, whatever) went from beginning to the end, well, sometimes. Does anyone else come into the dame problem?

The problem is caused by the arts deamon hogging the sound card, and not letting non-arts apps getting a look in. So if you logged in using IceWM for example the problem goes away (at least on my machine). A sort of work round is to tell KDE not to loads arts every time you log in. But if the new version of RealPlayer works I'd use that.

Try this command in a console

soundwrapper realplay8 (or whatever the name of executable is)

If I recall correctly, the command basically creates a wrapper for the executable, so that the sound is routed through arts instead of getting to OSS or ALSA directly, thus you can get sound that way.

It happens with Frozen Bubble in 9.2 also. It used to be that I can play the game (with sound) and play mp3 using xmms at the same time. Now, I cannot do that unless I type in

soundwrapper frozen-bubble

Try it, maybe it works.

the problem is solved after I recompile the sound driver.

It's strange that the included cmpci driver in 9.2 works for some applications but not for others.

Thanks for all your replies.

Anybody who knows me well on a computer level well knows my utter hatred for realplayer. I have even deleted files or not viewed clips I really wanted to see simply because I did not want to install realplayer so badly. My advice will always be to do anything you can to avoid installing anything realplayer puts out.

On a related note, as a testament to the amount of love I have for my wife, at one point on a previous incarnation of a computer still running today I did install realplayer so that she could view some clips on the web.

ok, so maybe that wan't necessarily useful for anybody, but it did me some good! :huh:

Anybody who knows me well on a computer level well knows my utter hatred for realplayer.  I have even deleted files or not viewed clips I really wanted to see simply because I did not want to install realplayer so badly.  My advice will always be to do anything you can to avoid installing anything realplayer puts out.

Just out of curiosity, is there some kind of rational for your hatred of Realplayer? Is there something we should know? Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Glitz.

ok, you beat it out of me... :P

I am very critical of software, and I really don't like obtrusive gui especially.

Installation of Realplayer had always gone like this for me.

Run install..

uncheck all of the CRAP I didn't want it to install

complete install

Run realplayer

Find out that it totally ignored all of my desires in the installation config..

lovely, now it is watching everything i do and forcing things on to my screen

then when you try to undo all of the annoying settings about it's interface it is impossible to find or doesn't work anyway.

To boot, at this point in time I was installing it on a daily basis to several machines. If it annoys me that much it definitely kills non computer savvy folk, so I have to fix it for them.

My ideal would be laying out a fat command line for the install putting it to the background and knowing that it would just go right and be right when it were done.

Have you used RealOne?

Real have really changed from their habits of old.

It is a much better cleaner app.

I too used to hate the old RealPlayer. But the new one is a big and good change. I use it often as I need to use it to transfer to my portable MP3 player. It's great, all my music is stored in it's library and the whole thing works sweet!

James

Can you get RealOne for Linux?

DragonMage

Thanks for the tip about the soundwrapper!

Yes.

http://proforma.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html

1) Fill in name and email and country

2) Select " Linux 2.x (libc6 386) " NOT " Linux 2.x (libc6 386) RPM"

3) Select CPU and connection.

4) Uncheck the box if you dont want mail from Real. If you uncheck it, you will get 0 mail from Real. I've done this process many many times and I have never got a mail from them.

5) CLick the button. DO not click any of the download links on the page, scroll down and click "DOWNLOAD NOW" under RealOne Player for Unix - Preview Release

6) follow the instructions and enjoy RealONE.

iphitus