rpm's won't install in 9.2

VeeDubb

I know this is realy strange, but I can not get any alternate kernel or kernel source to install. When i try to install through mandrake controll center, it dissables whatever local media I have saved it to saying the media contains a corrupt file. And when i try to install it from a remote server in urpmi, I get an md5 sum error that won't lett me install. I have tried numerous servers and all of the versions I get from allof them refuse to let me install. when I just double click and use the software installer, it says everythings already installed, whitch it's not. When I use kpackage manager, it simply refuses to open the file. When I use rpm from the command line i get an error that says the file is corrupt.

If this was with one particular file, I would dismiss it and get a new copy. But, i have tried this with several of each 2.4.22 and 2.6.0 source and 2.6.0 binarie from several differnt mirrors and none of them work. I have tried downloading localy and downloading at the computer lab and burning to a disk. None of it works and I have software I NEED that requires the kernel source.

ANy suggestion?

Also, I did re-install 9.2 to see if ti fixed the problem, and no, it did not. I have tried many other rpms in all possible ways from various places and they all installed fine, except the kernel source and all the 2.6 kernels. What on earth am I doing wrong????????

[root@penpen stephen]# rpm -ivf --force --nomd5 --nodigest --nosignature kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

Preparing packages for installation...

kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk

error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic

[root@penpen stephen]#

That's as far as I got.

I don't know either. :?

Real shot in the dark here, try disabling or removing your sources. Then from MDKs main server, open a console and :

wget ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

Then try installing, might work. :?

I'll try that if I can't find anything else, but I'm on a 56k modem, replaceing all my sources would literaly take me a good 3 hours. The hdlists can be 15MB. THere's a reason I always order my CD's from cheap bytes......

could somebody explain where the hell I just saved that file???  I can't find it anywhere.  It would realy suck to spend 2:30 downloading a file just to lose it.

So you opened up a console and typed wget bla bla bla.

If you didn't cd to a directory of your choice to d-load it to, then it must be in your /home dir. or what ever dir you were in when you opened a console.

Well, since I had never used wget before, I didn't realize I needed to specify a destination. As far as I can tell, the file got downloadd to nowhere. I went so far as to log into x as root and 'find files' searfching for all files anywhere in the file system containing the word kernel, and of course, I didn't find it, so now I have all my sources gone, and I wasted 2.5 hours and I still don't have matching kernel and source code. Also, so there swodn't be any confusi0on or conflict, i deleted all of my other kernel and source code packages before wateing my 2.5 hours. I could just scream. I'd like to find the guy at mandrake soft who made the final decision to exclude the kernel source and slap him up side his head.

So, now I have a few problems before I get as far as trying the kernel source again.

The first one is that all of my repositories are gone, including my CD's. Not a big deal to add them, but when I add them, there are no descriptions for any of the packages. How do I restore them the way they were before?

Then, I was also having trouble adding a contrib last night, but there's already a thread about that. And then lastly, does anybody know of another way to get the kernel source?

I can't get 3D-acceleraion from ny video card or anything from my printer without kernel source.

FOrgive me if this all sounded a litle too abrupt, I'm just very frustrated right now. THis is not how I envisioned spending my weekend....

On 9.1 I had that prob as a user...you think you're getting the rpm's but there nowhere to be found. Keep in mind that this is with;

-root, having added bvc to the rpm group (that's a joke...never makes a diff)

-using d4x

So, I imediately became root>ran d4x>and downloaded them again to the same /home/bvc/rpm dir. Took about 5 to 10 sec for d4x to verify the rpm's that were there but that neither root or bvc could see :shock: . This is based on a true story :lol:

On 9.1 I had that prob as a user...you think you're getting the rpm's but there nowhere to be found. Keep in mind that this is with;

-root, having added bvc to the rpm group (that's a joke...never makes a diff)

-using d4x

So, I imediately became root>ran d4x>and downloaded them again to the same /home/bvc/rpm dir. Took about 5 to 10 sec for d4x to verify the rpm's that were there but that neither root or bvc could see :shock: . This is based on a true story :lol:

At the risk of soundling like a complete retard, I have no idea what you are talking about..

I tried entering d4x as root, whitch simply said "command not found" ANd I realy don't want to downlaod anything again. THat's kind of half the problem. I'm on a 56k modem. Just adding a contrib mirror takes an hour, and that's if the first one works. I've been trying for 3 or 4 hours to successfully add a contrib mirror, but they all fail somewhere between 20 and 95% complete. Life is not fun with a modem. :(