Should I uninstall zeroconf?

toxaq

Hello, I've recently installed an adsl wireless router which also acts as a DHCP server. However I've had a problem with one of my linux boxes when I got eth0:9 configured with the IP address 169.254.119.126 and no plain eth0 configured after startup one time.... Since I don't want to have to answer questions from my flatmates about why they can't access the internet ( because there is no local network if this happens), I'd love to solve this.

Looking at the logs shows that zcip installed this, which is the zeroconf binary. I figure since I'm running this box as a DHCP client I don't need zeroconf so I can just uninstall it? Anyone any wiser? Thanks in advance...

i know when i don't have an actual signal, i will then get the eth0:9. i would check your cables, i know it sounds stupid, but give it a shot anyhow.

or you could unplug your router and then let it find your box, since your box is sending out a dhcp request, then do the network configure again.

cheers.

Thanks for the reply emetib. I think the problem is this PC is attached to a wireless bridge by a CAT5 cable but sometimes the signal goes down for the bridge and when this happens during login to the machine it gets screwed up.

However zeroconf does a terrible job of doing nothing and sets up a dodgy 'network adaptor', eth0:9... it even adds a non-local IP address. I don't really feel like learning more about another technology so I'd like to just uninstall it as I'm already running a DHCP network...

Guess I'll just suck it and see.

Cheers.