Pierre Baco: Recompiling to get ACPI working in Mandrake 9.2

DragonMage

Ok.. since I figure that this question is a bit offtopic from the original topic (My mdk92 experience so far), I make my own question.. Anyway, this question is primarily for Pierre Baco.

As suggested by him in this link http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=72377#72377

I tried to recompile my Mdk 9.2 kernel according to his instructions, but it still doesn't work. ACPI still hangs during the detecting new hardware section (harddrake) during bootup. If I disable harddrake, it will hang if I login with any other account other than root. Now my main question is: HOW in the world do you set ACPI as module? I cannot do that since the choices for ACPI are built in and none. Or do you mean the options under the ACPI tree (like fan, etc) should be setup as modules?

umm, I am no compiler, I seem to remember my bios has a setting for acpi

my grub file has a append

eg

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 acpi=off

AND you can make a new initrd that loads b4 the kernel with whatever modules you need I think its mkinitrd

good hunting

Sorry for late answer: (02:15 AM) Just coming back from a seafood - cheese party !! :wink:

Ok: I'm talking about fixing ACPI to run on a Compaq laptop 702EA under Mandrake 9.2 Powerpack. => Kernel is linux-2.4.22-10mdk. I know there's been another kernel update (Thursday or Wednesday), but I did not used it.

What I've done to make it run on my machine:

1°) Create another /usr/src/ subdir for your own kernel version by copying the original one. Mine is linux-2.4.22-10yan. Link it to /usr/src/linux. Update Makefile to reflect the new name.

2°) Run (x)config to set/unset the following options:

a) Processor Type and features:

- Processor family => Athlon/Duron/K7 (for the Compaq 702EA)

- CPU Frequence scaling => No

- Toshiba & Dell laptop support => No

- Symetric multi-processor support => No

- Local APIC support on uniprocessors => No

- Unsynced TSC Support => No

B) General Setup

- ISA, EISA and MCA support => No

- Power management support => Yes

- APM support => NO. Note: Setting it to NO will grey out an important option like RTC stores time in GMT, that should be left to Yes.

c) ACPI Support

- ACPI Support => Yes

- Read DSDT from initrd => No

- AC Adapter, Battery, Button, Fan, Processor, Thermal zone =>Module

- ASUS, Toshiba and Debug statement => No

- Relaxed AML checking => Yes

Now, I've unset many other kernel options that I don't really need on my laptop. I can send you my complete .config file if you want.

I've tried to set the ACPI options to Yes (built in) but I had strange err msgs in the syslog (like "ACPI: loading battery: FAILED and so on). Switching to modules solved the problem. Don't ask me why.

3) Run make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install and make install (will make the initrd.img file for you).

4) Edit /etc/lilo.conf to modify your new kernel options. Mine looks like (extract):

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10yan

label="9.2yan"

root=/dev/hda2

read-only

optional

vga=791

append="devfs=mount acpi=force noapic resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10yan.img

Note: you may have to rename the corresponding vmlinuz and initrd files in /boot. (Can't remember if i did it or make install did it for me).

5) Run lilo to save-check-set changes.

6) Install the acpi-0.6-9mdk and acpid-1.0.2-4mdk packages. Use mcc to make sure acpid will be lauched at boot.

7) Reboot. It works (at least here !).

The KDE latptop applet detects battery/power AC, battery level and sends alarms when needed. The fans and disks stop when on battery and not needed. Lid and button events are trapped (power button event calls the shutdown routine). I miss the thermal zone stuff, but i guess the Compaq 702EA is not built for this. Anyway, the laptop is much cooler than before.

The acpi command displays things like:

"Battery 1: discharging, 5%, 00:05:48 remaining." Not really accurate (pessimistic estimation, you'll need to add at least 15 minutes).

Still working on power suspend (well, not too much so far).

Well, that's all I can say right now. Hope this helps.

Any Pepto Bismol around ? :(

Hmm.. I did pretty much what you did.. with exception of the processor (I use 586 for maximum compatibility), and the toshiba choices (I put them as module). It is a toshiba laptop after all. Anyway, it doesn't do any good. It still hangs with ACPI turned on.

I played around a bit more, it seems that I have to disable devfs in order to login as user.. so at least I can go a bit more.. but loading mcc still hangs the computer..

Anyway.. I'll just wait until the updated kernel.. it is not going to be that long anyway.