ACPI in Mandrake 9.2

Guest karelj

Hey guys.. newbie here..

I was able to download the ISOs for 9.2 rc2 and it works fine(albeit a tad slow in graphical mode) on my PII 366mhz Toshiba Tecra with 128mb of RAM.

I have no idea what ACPI is, sorry, but is this something I should enable??

I was able to get my sound working by selecting windows sound in sndconfig. I had similar problems with sound when I ran RedHat 9.0 on the same laptop.

Anyway, would enabling ACPI allow me to use the proper selection for the sound chip (OPL 3-sa2/3)?? When I select it I get errors in sndconfig.

Really happy so far with 9.2, cant wait for the official downloads...

I split this post from the main tree because this post has become off topic.

Anyway, to answer your question, ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. What it basically is a way to control your computer and stuff so it can go to sleep, suspend, etc.. It is very useful for laptops, where power usage is prominent.

This is the link to the definition if you want to know more

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/computing/a...power+interface

I think a P2 is not current enough to have ACPI in it (of course, I could be wrong). You can enable it if you want to, but ACPI implementation is very experimental, so it can hang your computer if it doesn't work (like what happens to me).

I am surprised that your sound chip is not detected properly. Sndconfig is really antiquated now since it only works with OSS drivers. Try draksound instead and pick the ALSA driver for that card. Maybe it works better.

Hi.. thanks for the response and the info...

I ran draksound but it said that no soundcards were detected and to use sndconfig. In any case, the sound modules are being loaded at startup and there have been no problems since I picked windows sound... but when I check in drakxservices, the ALSA driver is stopped and I am unable to restart it.. clicking start gives me the message that the alsa driver is not running...

but hey.. as long as the sound is working, I can deal with this minor issue later...

karelj

I am commenting on both acpi and sndconfig.

If you like append your grub kernel line with acpi=off in /boot/grub/menu.1st .

I imagine lilo gurus will have something similar.

2) sndconfig has not been updated in 9.2. I am still not happy with 9.2 but you may want to look at kcontrol if you have kde loaded.

In the sound section section for the server, I chose oss, as mentioned instead of alsa but I found that in 9.2 the sound sleeps unless used after one second as a default.

Can I suggest you leave sound on, and give the test sound button another go. If its greyed out you still have sound probs.

ps make sure sound is turned on in mcc services. And you can guess I don't use alsa.

and yes I have dinosaur snd card ess1868 PCI emulator of soundblaster.