How to make XWinGreek do the stuff it claims it can

jimw

I've just downloaded, made,and installed a program called XWinGreek. Theoretically, it's supposed to allow me to input in Greek.

However, all I've been able to do so far is to make it run and, supposedly, clear it for working.

I'm very much of a beginner, and I suppose I've missed something important.

The instruction site is:

/www.geocities.com/autokratoria/xwingreek.html

I've already got several Greek fonts loaded.

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with 256K memory, and I'm running in KDE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

I don't know much (anything) about it but perhaps it doesn't use specfic greek fonts but uses the extended latin ISO character set and the extended greek letters ??

Yes, it uses various fonts, default being WinGreek.

The problem is that when I call it up, I get one little bar up in the corner of my screen, with a Greek 'theta' and a stroke through it, signifying that the Greek is not enabled. Clicking on this with the mouse removes the stroke, but there is no toolbar, no menu, nothing to suggest what one does next.

Jim

perhaps its trying to become a phi ???

:wink:

I dunno, if I was playing about trying to get it working I'd try some extended latin fonts that have the greek alphabet as a part. I might be completely wrong....

Einai den logiko....

(i havn't got a clue how to spell that in latin :wink:)

Interesting...

from the webpage at bottom:

Usage

Simply run xwg. A small window with an image of Greek letter _theta_ will be displayed. Use left mouse button or a switch key you defined (default is Pause) to turn Greek mode on and off. Use right mouse button to cycle through Greek layouts available. Use middle mouse button to exit.

Sounds like it runs in background and enables the keyboard to use the Greek fonts.

What happens if you do the left mouse click? (or did you define another 'switch key' during setup?) If you click the right mouse button, can you scroll thru layouts as they imply?

If so, then, try opening a WP program and type something. Does it use the Greek font now?

If you don't have middle mouse button I think you click both buttons at once to emulate it, but that depends on your mouse setup too.