Problem with Mandrake control center

alexpank

Hi everyone,

I'm running Mandrake 9.0, and a couple of days ago when I logged in, I got an error message, which I foolishly paid no attention to. As far as I can remember, it said something about a bug in SIQSERV (I think that's what it was...), and then asked to reboot. However, after rebooting, MDK kicked up a fuss about the hard drive, and started going through a routine that consisted mostly of finding blocks that were the wrong size and correcting them to 4096, whatever that means. Sorry I can't give more detail, but my poor eyes can't read that fast, and I haven't found a log file yet.

Anyway, the crux of the problem is this: after fixing all these errors, MDK still logs in fine, and KDE loads ok, but the Control center no longer works. It asks me for the root password, starts loading, and then suddenly.... nothing happens, the whole thing just stops, with no error messages or anything. Any ideas about how to get it up and firing again, or do I just have to re-install the whole thing?

TIA,

Alex

OK, I checked out the logs (thanks, derxen! I found everything I wanted there, and then some) and it seems that the original crash was caused by SIGTERM not SIQSERV or whatever I said before :oops: It seems that this is connected with CUPS, which I don't use anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

But the other thing I found is what had happened when I rebooted. The boot.log had that a whole lot of 'inodes' had either bad modes, illegal block devices, illegal character devices, illegal FIFOs or illegal sockets. Also references to mismatching i_faddr and inode pairs, mismatching ref counts and block and inode bitmap differences. (It must be serious -- there were over 3,000 lines of this!) The other clue I found was in /var/log/messages, which said (about 140 times)

kernel: EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,65)): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system zone-block = 983040
There was also something about bad errors:
EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,65)): ext3_add_entry: bad entry in directory #493824: rec_len %% 4 ! = 0 - offset=0, inode = 4294967295, rec_len = 65535, name_len = 255
Does anyone know what this means, and what might have happened to my poor computer?

Finally, as far as misbehaving MCC goes, it seems that su is opening a session, and then immediately closing it again. /var/log/messages has this:

Oct 25 21:21:58 localhost su(pam_unix)[4209]: session opened for user root by (uid=500)

Oct 25 21:21:59 localhost drakconf[4215]: ###program is starting###

Oct 25 21:22:00 localhost su(pam_unix)[4209]: session closed for user root

Is this normal? If it's a problem, what can I do to repair it? (please, anything but re-installing...)

Thanks again!