Supermount - why bother?

phunni

Supermount - worth bothering?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Supermount - worth bothering?

• yes!!
    • no!!
    • never really thought about it!!

The problems that I have with supermount are intermittant enought to place me squarely on the top of the fence rather than on either side. I can see it being a hassle for some people to mount and unmount things manually, but I tend to do that with a lot of stuff anyway. I could care less either way,... really.

By the way, I use SuSE 8.2 now, so my experience might be a little different than others.

I've been using mdk since 9.1 (yes, i'm not that new in the Linux community). However I've never had problems with supermount. Even using k3b or mounting ISOs or whatever. Actually, I've even opened the drive with an app still showing its contents but then I got no problems too.

But then the issues can be hardware related. This I would not be able to tell.

The first version of Linux that I actually managed to install properly adn get working was Mandrake 9.0. Supermount was a pain in the ar5e! If you tried to access an optical drive without a disc in, it was several minutes before you got your machine back!

9.1 has not completely eliminated this problem, but has got the wait to manageable proportions, so, on balance I have kept supermount.

If you want to do without it, in KDE at least, you can create icons on your desktop that have, on the context menu, mount/unmount commands. In fact I have created one for my Compact Flash card reader. It's no big deal. Just right click on the desktop, select Create New... CD/DVD Device or Floppy Device and off you go!

there are many convenient ways to u/mount drives graphically.
don't keep us in suspense.....care to share? :wink:

gkrellm is good for mounting/unmounting. And of course, there are desktop context menus, applets...

Yves.