MSI 865-P Neo2 + SATA HD: mandrake installer freezes! HELP!

Guest korskarn

Guest korskarn

!HELP! I am unable to install mandrake on my new computer.

I tried 9.2 and it freezes just after printing "in second stage install" and before printing somethign about checking serial ports.

I tried my older 8.2 cds and it freezes as well. Both are installing fine on my older computer.

I beleive it to be some incompatibility or conflict with my hardware or my BIOS configuration, but I have no idea what it is.

THis is what I have:

Processor: P4 2.6 FSB800 (tried with hyperthreading enabled and disabled in the bios)

RAM: 2x256 Mb PC4000 (DDR500) Kingston HyperX, using dual interface

Motherboard: MSI 865-P Neo2 (intel i865 chipset)

Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax9 SATA 120Gb

CD/DVD: LG 48/24/48/16

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb

Sound card: integrated on the motherboard

Network card: integrated on the motherboard

I am using a PS2 keyboard and a USB mouse

Guest korskarn

I found the problem. It was not the SATA drive, it was a setting in the BIOS.

I went to the "Intergrated peripherals" screen and disabled them all, and install worked. Then I tried enabling them one by one till I found the culprit. It was "USB Device Legacy Support" that was causing that.

There was somethign with the SATA drive too causing random crashes during install and linux boot after finishing the installation, but that was fixed through another BIOS setting.

I found the problem. It was not the SATA drive, it was a setting in the BIOS.

I went to the "Intergrated peripherals" screen and disabled them all, and install worked. Then I tried enabling them one by one till I found the culprit. It was "USB Device Legacy Support" that was causing that.

There was somethign with the SATA drive too causing random crashes during install and linux boot after finishing the installation, but that was fixed through another BIOS setting.

Can you let us know what you set "USB Device Legacy Support" to? To avoid the same happening to someone else?

DAVE

Guest korskarn

It didnt work when I had it set to "All devices"

Now I set it to "disabled" and it works

I also had to change the SATA setting from "native" to "legacy" in order to avoid random crashes during installation and boot after installing