Using a printer on a win nt 4 server with mandrake 9.1

emilioestevezz

I don't know about "shared" devices on an nt machine and a linux machine. I know there would be no problem with linux finding a printer with an ip on the network. But that is device dependent.

Do you have the Samba packages installed? I've had all sorts of glitches with Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 getting it to see my printer on a Win xp system. The printer setup in MCC couldn't see it, but I could easily configure Cups to work. Go figure! Anyway, if you have Samba set up you may try smbclient -L "win share" to see if Samba sees your win system. Post more info, good luck.

• 5 months later...
Guest sgla1

You can print to an NT box from linux, that's what we do here mainly due to the location of machines--it was more convienient to connect the printer to the NT box. Here's what we did:

1/2) we assume you can ping your win box from your linux box.

1) windoze supposedly offers print services for unix. I have never seen anyone acutally get them to work. If you do, please let me know how.......

2) we shared the printer from NT.

3) we configured cups on the linux boxes with MCC, which saved me from having to learn the syntax of CUPS. Note that mandrake will probably *not* auto-detect the shared printer. De-select "auto-detect" and manually enter the ip, host name of the print server and name of the shared printer, etc. Yes, the print server needs to have a static ip.

3.1) our win boxes are in a domain, so we need a user to log on to the NT domain and access the share. We created a user specially for printing, with no password since samba transmits passwords in clear text. You will enter the user name in MCC too.

3.2) If you are in a workgroup, the log-on details will differ somewhat.

4) mandrake thinks you are configuring a printer attached to your machine (and essentially this is something like mounting a network drive on your machine--correct me if I am wrong) so you will have to select a linux driver on you linux box(es). MCC should walk you through this.

5) you should be good to go.