Mandrake 9.0/kde very slow on 233 w/80mg ram

Guest leebase

Guest leebase

I have an old NT 4 server that I though I'd use to play with linux.

I installed Mandrake 9.0 with kde and it's MUCH slower than with NT.

this was surprising to me as i thought Linux was supposed to run so much better on old hardware than windows.

Others have suggested I choose a different wm than KDE.

My question is, will I loose the gui configs if I do so?

I installed "webmin" -- can I admin my box from another machine via the web interface?

I really don't plan to use this linux box as a workstation, rather as a LAMP server.

Lee

Guest leebase
try comparing windows XP to Mandrake on that box.

Nt is a very old operating system, so if you use mandrake 9.0 on that box do not use KDE or Gnome!.

use a light one like blackbox.

Yeah, I'm hearing from others that they feel it's an unfair comparison.

I'm not so worried about the comparison as I am in getting a viable Linux installation going.

I installed the "other" wm's -- would blackbox be one of the choices?

Will I still be able to run Mozilla or OpenOffice if I use one of those other wm's?

I mostly want to get to the point of having LAMP running.....but as I'm a NEWBIE I'm still in need of the graphical config tools.

Lee

Guest jglen490

If you are unhappy with the performance, then definitely try a lighter wm or GUI. IceWM or XFCE will provide a lot of the functioality of a GUI desktop, but at a lower load on your system. If all you are concerned with is speed, but still want a graphical environment, then one of the *box (i.e., blackbox, fluxbox) wm's are for you.

And yes, they are different from KDE or Gnome, but will work just fine without altering your Xwindow configuration.

Guest leebase
If you are unhappy with the performance, then definitely try a lighter wm or GUI.  IceWM or XFCE will provide a lot of the functioality of a GUI desktop, but at a lower load on your system.  If all you are concerned with is speed, but still want a graphical environment, then one of the *box (i.e., blackbox, fluxbox) wm's are for you.

And yes, they are different from KDE or Gnome, but will work just fine without altering your Xwindow configuration.

Thanks for your help. I'm certainly going to try one of the other window managers.

I may just forgoe the gui and learn to use the system "like a real mean" :)

After all, I'm not considering switching to linux at this point, I still have my windows box for the gui stuff I need to do.

Lee

definatly turn off all GUI stuff on the box while you aren't using it for the GUI

eg) as the server.

Gui's take up alot of resources that are better off used for serving webpages etc..

simply logout of x after you finish using the gui.

Guest leebase
Also go to the Mandrake Control Center and turn off services you don't need.  Search the messages for a list of those you can safely turn off if your not sure yourself.

Counterspy

Just an update. I switched to "blackbox" (fluxbox wasn't one of my already installed choices).

MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

I can actually use my system now.

Lee

Nobody will offend you, if you go back to Mandrake 8.2.

I got it working on many machines and there you have kde2, will be too slow for you, but GNOME 1.4!!

I think, if you want a complex WM and have got a slow machine, then GNOME 1.4 will be a good deal....

All you really want is to get used to a single (or a few) Window Manager (and a quick one at that; less resources taken by the WM, more left to your apps...)

Fluxbox is a great improvement over BlackBox; but I personally prefer Ice WM...

Just a question of taste, I guess.

Fast but complete; that's the ever recurring compromise: KDE 3.1 is nice, but such a "bloat".

Try them all, then come up with your own conclusion...