Safely writing to NTFS partitions?

AKAIK the Linux NTFS drivers are still not good enough for you to 'safely' write to a partition. Its not helped by the fact that MS occasionally change the NTFS spec to suit their own purposes. But Mandrake can reliably resize and create NTFS partions, I guess SuSE (and the others) can do as well.

Currently I have on my work laptop winxp & suse9, I put all my mp3's on win and listen to them through suse9. That's only reading, but you can write to it, but as was mentioned, "safelty" I don't think you can really say that. I have never had a problem writing from SuSE, but your mileage may very.

Yep, I agree with the FAT32 approach for storing mpg's and such, even though I've learned not to trust FAT partitions, it's only data that can be backed up elsewhere easily enough. I'm still too chicken to write to the NTFS partitions where my Win OS is. If I screw up win I would be REALLY PO'd cause I hate working with it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

SuSE 9.0 can RESIZE NTFS partitions as part of the install process. WRITING to them is still a problem... You CAN use Partition Magic to switch your NTFS partitions over to FAT32, I think. That may be a better solution if you want the ability to safely edit Windoze drives.