X on a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S701

Guest Yesterday

Guest Yesterday

I have a Toshiba 5105-S701 and installed 9.0 on it. So far as I can tell the install went fine (there were no errors), and all the rest of my hardware is working fine, but I think the GeForce4 440 Go card is not configured properly. Terminal mode works fine, but whenever I start X only diagonal pink lines are displayed. I downloaded and installed the latest 8.2UP drivers, which didn't work. I called Toshiba to get the refresh rate's of my monitor thinking that I had found the problem but I guess there actually isn't a refresh rate on such newer monitors :!: Should I compile srpm's intead since it's for a different ver of MDK? In that case, how do I do it? I've never used srpms before, only rpms.

Also, this one's non graphical but almost a bigger nuisance than the X server: when booting, my system hangs for like 5-10min on bringing up whichever eth is not connected (ie, when in range of a WAP and not RJ45'ed, eth0 hangs; when RJ45'ed and no WAP, eth1 hangs.) combined 10-20min when neither is connected, but the rest of the boot is lightning! How can I resolve this :?:

WinXP sucks and I'm burned that Toshiba covered their ass about the whole returning Windows for a refund thing but I wanna rid myself of the Micro$hackles :twisted: ! Thanks for any help you can render.

Signed,

Nicht Sagen

Never Say

Guest lamatop

Hi!

I switched from GeForce2 to GeForce4 Ti4200 on my desktop computer running MDK9.0.

I could only make X work by installing the 'nvidia' driver (as opposed to the default 'nv' driver)

Driver and instructions can be found at www.nvidia.com

You'll have to use the kernel src rpm, since there is no precompiled ones for MDK9.0 last time i checked. But no prob, its all described in the readme.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JeremyG

I don't know about the startup issue, but I had the exact same problem running X on my laptop. The problem was that the default monitor that they select was the wrong one. I had to choose the Integrated monitor (I think generic integrated, but can't remember for sure). That solved the problem right away, it had nothing to do with the drivers, although the newest drivers are the best.

JeremyG