burning cd's

Michel

Hey,

for teh first time I tried to burn a cd using linux..took a while but yesterday decided to try it. I used gcombust..that didn't work. I also tried gtoaster..that didn't worked. They all said...burned successfully, but when I put the cd (I tried to make an audio-cd), it wasn't recognized by the cd-player.

I someone could help me with gtoaster...

I tried to write an audio-cd ( 4 times already !!! ) and not one time did I succeed. What did I do? My audio-files are on the harddrive. I even decoded(encoded?) them to wav myself.... I gtoaster, I dragged them to the trackslist. What I was wondering in the end (because it wasn't working) if I maybe had to rename teh files in the track-editor (I removed the directory-nameings os I only kept the filename..I tried both..both failed). So, no there were only filename.wav's in the tracks-list. I wrote them...in DAO-mode and the first 2 times in TAO I think. Nothing works...When I click on the cdrom in gtoaster..nothings is shown..I also have put some of them in a cd-player...displayed ERROR. Don't know any mroe what can be wrong....Writing ends succesfull. Only in teh beginning cdrecord says...it changes the start or soemthing...soemthing of -150 instead of 0. But it continuous and ends....

Hopefully someone can help me....I dont want to loose anymroe cd's ebcause of this. I'm using the latest tarbal.

I already transfered my files to my win-partition I haven't been really using windows for almost year for my own things. Why won'tit work !! I don't want to loose any mroe cd's. It's getting expensive.

OK, well first off try making the iso by itself. This is FREE.

check you can mount it etc using

mount -o loop <filename> <mountpoint> -t iso9660

If you can and all your files are there then its the next stage time.

You can try the noburn/test option.

It doesn't sound like it will do anything in your case.

Are your files readable by the drive you put em into as opposed to a commercial CD player??? It could be a problem of sensitivity of the CD player or it might just not like CD-R's

Try writing at the lowest speed it will let you etc.

Interesting question and I asked it myself one time. I have the same problem, I've tried numerous software, k3b, eroaster, xcdroast, etc. and many different brands of cds. They all sound great, listening to them on my computer! But I've found that some cd players will play them and some won't. And one brand will work great one time and then another time it won't. I've also tried command line, different speeds, you name it. It can't be my cd burner because I hate to say this but it never happens in Winblows. I'm sure there's an answer but I sure don't know it. :?

Have you tried copying the WHOLE audio CD direct from one drive to another.

This might sound lame (:wink:) but their are a bewildering array of options for how to write audio Cd's. My guess is that these affect the compatibility with different audio players. Unfortunately ISO9660 is pretty limiting and the different extensions are all mutually semi-compatible ...

I'd suggest that the strictest would work best but it might not be the case. We live in an MS dominated world and the audio players are morelikely to read MS extensions than the rockridge etc.

i don't know gtoaster, but it sounds like you're just burning the wav files to cd, not making an audio cd. is there somewhere in gnome-toaster that you need to specify what type of disk you're making? (i couldn't find it!) maybe you'd have better luck with k3b or another program, making sure to pick "audio cd"?

Hi,

sorry it was my mistake that it didn't work. I made the assumption that if the dummy-write was performed successfully, the real writing woudl start, but it isn't like that. So, it seems I only did teh dummy write...So, I only had to disable dummy write and write....and now it works :D.

I still am deciding between gtoaster and gcombust. In gcombust you can export sessions and automatically make covers for your cd. In gtoaster you can't do that, but in gtoaster teh file-conversions are done automatically, but I haven't tried it really yet. So, I have to make up my mind :D. Maybe I'll use both...

Thanks all..