mcop hostname?

Steve Scrimpshire

I sometimes have kwrite crash on me with not-so-verbose error messages, so I decided to look in .xsession-errors. Didn't find anything related to kwrite (I'm using IceWM), but I did see this line that looks interesting:

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

Can't get own host name. Your system is severely misconfigured

I notice in my logs it says that my hostname is:

x1-6-00-90-64-b4-ac-db

and I've tried to change it in /etc/hosts, but it just keeps changing back after rebooting. When I initially start up, I change it as root with the

hostname omarserenity.no-ip.com

command and it works fine anytime I open a console that's what I see and typing

hostname

that's what I see (the omarserenity.no-ip.com one), but still the logs show the other one. I found the post where cannonfodder describes how to change your hostname permanently using DrakGW, but I'm using 9.2rc2 and the one option that makes it stick is not there anymore. Where are the logs getting this other hostname from and how can I make this change permanent? Does this have any bearing on the message in .xsession-errors? Why is the sky blue?

Well, yeah. Not really problems, but I just reinstalled because of crashing my filesystem trying to create a new partition and move stuff, so I've spent alot of time re-tweaking and doing stuff that may not have required rebooting, but it didn't do what I wanted so I hoped rebooting would fix it. :) (Still a Windows habit. Sorry) Anyway, I can't figure out how to get rid of that dang crazy hostname permanently and stop from having a 'severely misconfigured' system ;)