Windows User Requests Forgiveness And Enlightment

Swiss

I have been using windows for more years than I care to think about. I have just bought myself a copy of ProSuite 9.1, Installed It and ermmmmmmmmm :D DAMN!!!

After a few initial problems like ...

Getting from runlevel 3 to runlevel 5... I know bloody easy really

Getting out of VI once your in it

I'm starting to find my way around.

I've spent about a week playing around, re-installing (cause that was not the way to do it) and I've now got an understanding of the basics.

I've mastered DHCP Server, Samba Server (Kinda), NTP Server, Mounting, Users (Although Not To Sure About Groups Yet), Permissions etc....

What I'm looking for is a good place to start learning the more advanced stuff so I don't have to bug you lot with 500 post a day 24/7.

Please remember that I've been corrupted by :twisted: microsoft :twisted: for over 10 years so please be gentle !!!!

I appologise for not trying Mandrake sooner, but I think its safe to say that once I've got my head around it i wont be going back.

Swiss

Good morning and welcome to the board. 8)

BTW, this is an independent site, not part of Mandrake.

Well, if you have mastered DHCP Samba etc, maybe you could help a few users here with their questions. :)

What kind of advanced stuff are you looking to learn? c++ ? the kernel?

My two pennies worth is that the best way to learn is to have a go and figure it out when it goes wrong. No-one here really minds if you ask loads of questions - unless you just use the board to figure everything out without having a go yourself.

This is one of the friendliest boards I've found and everyone here is pretty patient and newbie friendly.

I would start by recompiling my kernel :twisted: I learnt a lot that way.

Also, check out the Linux Documentation Project: www.tldp.org - for info on just about anything.

Have you setup urpmi with some other sources? Have you mucked around with some of the many Window Managers available? Have you tried helping other people here with their problems? Helping others can often be the best to learn.

Welcome to the board, it sounds like you're doing really well so far!

Right then, It looks like lots of bedtime reading!!

I've got no problem helping others as soon as I feel competent enough. Most of what I've got working so far has been through luck more than judgement.

Recompileing the kernel..........Ermmmmmmmmmm..........Think I'll leave that for a little bit.

Thx so far......... I'm of to start reading. I will return.

Swiss

Right then, It looks like lots of bedtime reading!!

I've got no problem helping others as soon as I feel competent enough. Most of what I've got working so far has been through luck more than judgement.

Recompileing the kernel..........Ermmmmmmmmmm..........Think I'll leave that for a little bit.

Thx so far......... I'm of to start reading. I will return.

Swiss

awwww, cmon! compile a kernel! it's easy.

ON Linux one of the scariest things for a newbie is compiling. You just have to try it. LFS helped me a lot.

A way I learnt a lot and had a bit of fun was doin a linux from scratch (LFS). www.linuxfromscratch.org

James

It really isn't that difficult, you just have to know your system pretty well and read the information for each module carefully to make sure you build everything you need into the kernel.

Thanx SoulSE, great place to start.

I now have working Master & Slave DNS Servers, but I can't find anything there to explain how to set my DHCP Server to update my dns records.

I found these entries on another site :-

ddns-updates on;

ddns-domainname "swiss.intranet";

ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa";

And I've edited the obvious bit, but I don't kow what to do in my DNS settings.

This isn't a major requirement for my network, but I know it can be done and its bugging the hell out of me cause I can't find out how !!!!!!!!!! :x

Can anybody point me in the right direction plz. Any give any possible problems with this issue.

Swiss

P.S. Is this what they call Dynamic DNS (DDNS) ??? proberbly good to find out the name of what im doing :lol:

I assume you want your DNS server to convert hostnames to IP addresses for machines on your local network. That's a pretty complicated subject beyond my meager capabilities but I came across a discussion of this subject in a book I recently purchased: Linux Power Tools by Roderick W. Smith, published by Sybex. The answer appears on pp 582-588.

Pretty heady stuff that involves setting up a domain through a zone definition in the main DHCP configuration file for the local network then setting up both a forward and reverse lookup zone control files for the defined zone.

There's also a lenghty discussion on DNS server configuration that you might find interesting.

It's a very good book by the way and gathers a lot of useful info in one place.