OpenOffice 1.1 KDE (Gnome?) gui menu creation

kmack

NOTE: **I do not use Gnome and have not tested, but looks like the process is basically the same with minor substitutions. The normal caveats and disclaimers apply!

After installing OOo 1.1 using both the 'net' and 'user' installs as OOo instructs when using the OOo installer:

Desktop/Clutter Method KDE (Gnome?) :

1. As regular USER open Konqueror or your file mgr of choice and go to: file:/opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/kde/net (or substitue gnome for kde if that's what you use) Note: If you chose a different install directory like /usr/local your OOo files will be in that directory so you need to go there.

2. Drag the xxx.desktop files to your user desktop and release the mouse button.

3. A dialogue will ask if you want to "Copy here" or "Link here" or "Cancel". As far as I know, it will work whether you copy or link it, at least it does on mine. I can tell no difference in speed between the two methods.

4. If you want to get fancy, you can right click on the icons you created and add any options you want via the PROPERTIES dialogue.

5. Now you can open and run any of the OOo items by clicking on the icons you placed on your user desktop.

This method clutters the desktop but is quick and easy way to open individual or multiple OOo components via gui.

For a cleaner desktop you can copy/link the "template.desktop" and you can launch any OOo component from there by clicking and opening the template launcher. Not bad-- now we are down to one icon.

Menu Method KDE (Gnome?):

It appears that the OOo installer places the desktop files in your /home/yourusername/.kde/share/applnk/OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 for kde users

-or-

/home/yourusername/.gnome/apps/OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 for gnome users

and Mandrake does not "see" them in that location. So...

1. Open TWO file managers (2 Konqueror / or 2 Nautilus, etc.) and size them to fit side-by-side or slightly overlapping. Go to the directory /home/yourusername/.kde/share/applnk/OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 on one file mgr and on the second one go to /home/yourusername/.kde/share/applnk-mdk/Office/Wordprocessors

2. Drag the writer.desktop icon from file mgr window 1(OOo 1.1.0) to file mgr window 2 (Wordprocessors) and release it. It will ask if you want to copy/move/link or cancel. Make a link here.

3. Repeat this pattern in each of the separate office directories and place them where it makes sense to you.

i.e. Office Accessories -- OOo Printer Admin ; OOo Math

Office Graphs -- OOo Draw

Office Presentations -- OOo Impress

Office Spreadsheet -- OOo Calc ; OOo Math

Your placement may vary, but this works for me. It is a bit faster than doing via kmenuedit and made more sense to me at least.

Kmenuedit:

1. As a regular user open Konsole and type "kmenuedit" to open the gui interface and insert the menu items. It is pretty intuitive.

This is a "work in process" and I suspect others can add to this or clarify it. I am working on how to do it system wide without using menudrake. Any comments or suggestions definitely appreciated!

:)