Problem Configuring X

Guest skytrain

Depends on how in was installed/what .ext the pkgs is.

.rpm

rpm -e pkg_name

urpme pkg_name

Software Manager (rpmdrake)

.tar.gz and other source pkgs

you can usually

cd /path_to/source_tree

make uninstall

-with these......sometimes deleting the install dir (/usr/local/pkg_name or /usr/share/pkg_name) and (/usr/bin/name or /usr/local/bin/name) is the only way

Guest skytrain

The reason I asked about uninstall is because of problems installing StarOffice so that every user can try it out. I have found many suggestions after doing a search, but am still a little confused.

Currently, I have Mandrake installed and both KDE and Gnome work OK. I tried a StarOffice install, but it concked out after I rebooted. Is this the way that it should be installed to work properly.

First, do a network install. Does this mean I use setup from KDE and check Network Install and put it in root, even though I did not configure a network when I first installed Mandrake?

Second, install again, but log in under my local name, and install into my own home directory, and check Workstation install this time? Does that mean that if other users are added later, they sould also do the same install routine?

Thanks for all your help.

• 5 weeks later...

For the PCTEL modem, you will have to go to the URL http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

and load the Linux driver for pctel modems. You also need to install kernel sources and the development packages since installing the driver means compiling a kernel module.

Once your modem is set up, install and fire up minicom as root

minicom -c on -s

and see if you can dial out.

If you can dial out, then fire up kppp or wvdial to set up your ppp network.

Sincerely,

About partitioning, once you use a certain tool, keep using that tool.

You can manipulate many types of partitions with diskdrake, and since you used that, I'd advice to stick with it. Actually, I have not used anything else in a long while, and don't plan to.

I have seen systems that were altered with PM, then diskdrake, and after that, PM didn't like it anymore (crashed). Diskdrake could still perform the required changes, so no problem there.