Using the upgrade feature in mandriva 2009

Guest liredbone

Guest liredbone

Guys I need some help. I just tried to upgrade to the Mandriva 2009. See use the upgrade feature that mandriva has a new verison. I know that I sould have not done it that way but I did anyway. I downloaded it am it ask me to reboot when it reboots its fine loading up but when it comes to loading up XWindows aka GUI the screen stays blank. I can get to the command interface when I tells lilo to do that. I see that lilo has diffrent opions for me to chose from but they all give me the same from. In the command interface I can log in as the root and see my file when I input the xstart command the screen goes blank its seems that is something wrong with loading xwindow. I know that I could downloads the new version of mandriva to a cd but my cd-rom that I have mandriva on goes not work just just wonder so how is there a way to fit mandriva without me going out and buying a external cd drive I have look all over the internet for a answer I hope to find one here.

Guys I need some help. I just tried to upgrade to the Mandriva 2009. See use the upgrade feature that mandriva has a new verison. I know that I sould have not done it that way but I did anyway. I downloaded it am it ask me to reboot when it reboots its fine loading up but when it comes to loading up XWindows aka GUI the screen stays blank. I can get to the command interface when I tells lilo to do that. I see that lilo has diffrent opions for me to chose from but they all give me the same from. In the command interface I can log in as the root and see my file when I input the xstart command the screen goes blank its seems that is something wrong with loading xwindow. I know that I could downloads the new version of mandriva to a cd but my cd-rom that I have mandriva on goes not work just just wonder so how is there a way to fit mandriva without me going out and buying a external cd drive I have look all over the internet for a answer I hope to find one here.

Mandriva and most Linux distros are using GRUB (grand unified bootloader) now. LILO is obsolete.

First thing I would check is if the update went though correctly until the end. So login in command line as root, connect to the internet and then

urpmi --auto-update

That's the correct command IIRC but better check it.

When I updated my system online I never had full success, it always stopped working for some reason. OTOH I always just had to relaunch the update process and it finished.