mandrake and xp...

Guest bhrich902

Guest bhrich902

i did a mandrake install on a hardrive with 3 partitions, swap, mdk, and xp. now before i install xp i want lilo to be able to see it at boot, what is the simplest way to execute this set up, thx...

that should in theory be it. lilo will see the XP partition, and automagically add an entry for it. then at the reboot, you can use lilo to boot either XP, or mandrake.

BTW. if you don't format the /home partition, all of your user settings will be preserved, even after a complete reinstall. so don't format /home!

Guest s3aman
you will have to install XP first.  XP will blow away lilo when it writes to the master boot record.  linux will not blow away XP.  so do the XP install first, then the linux install.

You can install mdk & then XP , after installing Xp , you should boot the 1st mdk installation cd,

pressing F1 and then write:

rescue

you'll see a blue menu... now all you have to do is to press on restore Lilo(i can't recall maybe it's restore linux loader...)

anyway it worked fine for me...

xp will attempt to "fix" your drive by overwriting your linux partitions! If you are aware of this, you can prevent it, but most allow windex to "automagically" mess up their computer. The best bet is to make a specific partition and tell xp to use it, there by controlling it. For what it's worth, me was worse than xp! Me will wipe the partitions without saying anything! Nice!

For what it's worth, me was worse than xp! Me will wipe the partitions without saying anything! Nice!

yeah, ME did that to me just last week. After installing, I reinstalled lilo from the 9.1 discs and went into diskdrake and found that ME was overlapping my / partition!! after crossing my fingers, i deleted the partition ME created and it didn't end up hurting my / partition. when I started over, and got it to work by creating the FAT32 partition in mandrake, then booting with a ME bootdisk and formatting that partition (FORMAT C: ) before installing.

for whatever reason, if I didn't boot onto the bootdisk and manually format the drive, the install program seemed to go haywire and start overlapping other partitions. After the manual format, however, install went very smoothly. I mostly wanted ME because it is smaller than XP. I would've used 98 but it didn't want to recognize my firewire CD-RW. In a few months, I'll probably uninstall ME forever, but I need it to take final exams because the software the school makes me use only runs on windows.