AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! Installing on HD!! HELP!!!!

Guest LinuxAdvocate

Guest LinuxAdvocate

This installation is driving me nuts! I have tried puting the Mandrake dir in my partition and it can't do it. :? I am about to try just using the ISO's, but I have spent over 20 hours just trying to get the installer to work.

My system is a 1.2Ghz AMD with ATI Radeon 7200 AGP, Via motherboard, DVD drive, CDRW drive, Network Everywhere ethernet, and Zip 250 USB.

HELP PLEASE!!! Thanks and God Bless!

Guest LinuxAdvocate

Ok. I think I have isolated the problem. It says it can't find an ext2 filesystem. What is that suppose to mean and how do I correct this? The partition is FAT32 format. HELP!!

Hi and welcome to the board.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but it would be easier if you just burned the iso's and install from there. The installer will reformat and partition your hd and configures just about everything automatically. If you downloaded the iso's be sure to use MD5sum to check them. If you're not sure here's a FAQ on it http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4638

Guest LinuxAdvocate
Linux needs either a ext2 (or other linux-recognised format) partition or empty space on the disk which can be formatted 

Linux won't install on fat32. How is your hard disk set up? Do you have Windows or other partitions on the disk?

OK, here is what I have done since my last post. I obtained a copy of Partition Magic 8.0 and I chose to reformat my partition for Linux to ext2 and create SwapSpace. I was attempting to install from the Hard Drive, but to no avail. I also decided to download another copy of Mandrake CD 1 as I lost the other one when I partitioned my drive with FDISK. Oh and I have Windows 98SE, which I need because of Macromedia Studio MX among other things.

I obtained information on how to burn an ISO onto a CD the right way using Nero Burning Rom. ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut...rake/iso/README had the answer.

I have another question. Is there support for an ATI Radeon 7200 AGP in Mandrake Linux? If not, I will need to go buy a new video card, which I might do anyways. Thanks!