Getting started with my Clie...

phunni

I've ordered a SOny Clie (Nx80V) and am getting it tonight. I seem to remember from previous palm experiences that you need to set up a user and things like that.

While I'm aware that I can simply use palm desktop on windows to perform the initial set up - I think I'd rather keep everything in Linux. I know there is the install user script with pilot link - but how do I use this to create a user - I have no idea what the password should be - if there even is one...

I intend to use jpilot to actually sync the clie - is there a way of setting up a user in this? (The website is down so I can't read the online docs).

Also, I previously experimented with my Brother in Law's CLie to see how easy it was to set everything up - everything worked but I could only sync as root. Changing the appropriate things in /dev to permissions 0666 didn't work as some of the HOW-TOs suggested it might - any advice on this?

never mind I used windows to set the user and install some initial packages. I'd like to avoid relying on windows in future - if that's possible.

I am still having problems getting it to sync - I have edited my /etc/devfsd.conf which ahs enabled permissions on my /dev/usb/tts1 + 0

This means that my user now has access to those devices. But whenever I try to sync (as root or a normal user) everything simply fails - I am asked to press hotsync (which I already have done)

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I'm using jpilot to sync

Try pointing jPilot to just the usb services, and let the kernel services work out which port its on...

I use SuSE and synch with JPilot all the time, even with the cradle plugged into different USB ports. Same for my printer.

Occcansionally, when I use my SD card reader, it temporarily wacks out my JPilot synch, but that is usually only temporary.

I have no idea how Mandrake handles USB auto-detection.

I've started using the vanilla kernel and found an improvement - although it's still not perfect...

I occasionally find that a sync does not complete properly and this screws up all further attempts to connect until I reboot...

Also, when shutting down the attempted removal of the usb modules (usb-uhci, usbserial and visor) causes the shutdown to hang... not really very helpful

Guest kuchwas
I am still having problems getting it to sync - I have edited my /etc/devfsd.conf which ahs enabled permissions on my /dev/usb/tts1 + 0

I'm using jpilot to sync

My JPilot is setup with /dev/tty/USB1. (that's USB one) I migrated from a Palm to a Sony, so all I had to do was retore the device to get it to work, and already had a user.

The only funky USB problem I have is that after boot, it takes two tries to initiate a sync; touch Sync in Sony, press Backup in JPilot - Jpilot times out - Quit JPilot, Abort Sony Sync - touch Sony sync - press Backup in JPilot, and it works fine.

I can change users with no problems, it is only when the machine reboots.

Tim

What kind of OS is on the Sony?  Is it Palm?  I don't know much about them, I have a Zaurus and I know what runs on it, (Linux)

Palm OS yes. I used to run linux on my ipaq with opie as the front end - and I actually prefer palm if I'm honest...

What kind of OS is on the Sony?  Is it Palm?  I don't know much about them, I have a Zaurus and I know what runs on it, (Linux)

Palm OS yes. I used to run linux on my ipaq with opie as the front end - and I actually prefer palm if I'm honest...

That's cool, I just wan't sure what was used in Sony.

I seem to remember a problem with USB services in Mandrake that could only be solved by turning one off and turning the other on...

Been so long, I can't remember, and at that time I had a Palm m105 which used a serial RS-232 interface.

I use a Palm m130 now with a USB interface, but again with SuSE 8.2.

You might also want to try turning the USB support in the BIOS to the USB 1.0 standard rather than the newer, faster 2.0.

I have made a discovery that may or may not shed some light...

I did a sync this morning and (on the desktop) it failed to complete. This means I have to reboot in order to sync again. I tried unloading the various modules and succesfully unloaded visor. When I try to unload usbserial however I am told that it is busy.

I would guess that if I could find out what is using usbserial and free it up then I would be able to sync without a reboot. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Edit: I'm wondering if it's something to do with hotplug - but I don't know much about this - anyone else?