Severals servers and ICS?

Guest tommer

Guest tommer

Hello

Is it possible to have two DHCP servers running in the same network?? I'm using the following.

1. DSL modem

2. Wireless router running DHCP, connected to 1.

3. Win XP machine running DHCP? (ICS enabled), connected to 2. via wireless.

4. Mandrake 9.1 machine, trying to connect to internet through crossover cable to 3.

The XP machine has following ipconfig values:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.123

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

but pinging to 192.168.0.123 from Mandrake machine doesn't give any response. Am I doing something very wrong here?:?

(I plugged 4 directly into 2, and that worked flawlessly...)

Regards,

Tom

• 5 months later...

You dont want to use 2 DHCP servers on the same network unless they are on different subnets (or serving unrelated scopes ie router 192.168.0.0/24 and winxp 192.168.1.0/24) even then there is nothing that is bridging the network connection from wired (crossover cable) to wireless connection.

The Ideal way to do what you want is to bridge the connections.

To do this with windows Xp:

(first you will need to turn off ICS in winxp)

Right click on My network Places and go to properties (or go to network connections in the control panel, you may have to classic view in the control panel).

Select the wireless connection and the wired ethernet connection by holding ctrl and clicking on each.

Right click on one of the still selected connections and choose bridge connections.

After you have bridged the connections both connections will have the same IP address and you will need to make any future changes needed the Network Bridge that is now listed in Network Connections

This setup will essentially make the windows XP machine act like a wireless to ethernet bridge (access point). The mandrake machine will get its IP information from the DHCP server in the router.