Guarddog Firewall

Guest leeach

Guest leeach

Tried opening Guarddog as root, window opens, then shuts down, but I can open as regular user.....HELP!!! :cry:

From command line I get these errors:

[root@localhost bin]# guarddog

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

kbuildsycoca running...

Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

[root@localhost bin]#

Any ideas??

Also about Encrypting, over the internet, why does Konqueror still warn me about sending data across the network unencrypted, even after I set up all the settings in the Security tab...do i need to have an SSL server on my machine or what??? :oops:

Guest GorGor

Hullo

while you are waiting for a better reply, GLX is associated with X server, for me, I use MESA.

try going into mandrake control centre THEN software to remove, do a keyword search for mesa, you will see its one of the files that mesa creates. Turn on advanced info if you can't see any file list.

glx may also be associated with other 3d driver software such as SDL but I dont have that installed.

If you can't find mesa or sdl try installing mesa first and then running guarddog in su mode.

IF mesa or sdl is installed then remove one and re-install and run g/dog

As an option to installing it, you may use a terminal to install the rpm because it will output errors if there are any..

You can also have a look at your syslog Try looking at only today date to keep the output small

And a hidden file called .xsesssion errors may exist in your home directory. If you Konqueror you can view hidden files by selecting the option in pull down View.

Its unlikely I have the skill to fix them but if you re-install of mesa fails maybe someone else can fix?

Guest GorGor

Umm, Only just bothered to read your startx post. When you say guarddog runs ok in normal user login, do you mean you have a window manager running ok? Cos if not, ignore my drivel above, heh heh

Guest leeach

Can't do it, Mesa is installed but if I uninstall Mesa, I'll be forced to uninstall a multitude of other important applications, so I left it alone. Tried using it again after refomatting my harddrive, but guarddog still wont open as root, which is strange because it will open as regular user.

Also , if I'm not mistaken, Mesa is associated with GLU not GLX, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a fear that I won't be able to open any applications I install because of this... someone please help me :( Anywayz, here is that .xsession error file you were talking about:

installing /home/leeach/Documents/RPMZ/guarddog-2.2.0-2mdk.i586.rpm /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/liblcms1-1.10-1mdk.i586.rpm

kbuildsycoca running...

ASSERT: "m_widget" in kaction.cpp (2993)

ASSERT: "m_widget" in kaction.cpp (2993)

kbuildsycoca running...

konsole_grantpty: determined a strange device name `/dev/ptmx'.<--?

konsole: chownpty failed for device /dev/pts/0::/dev/pts/0. <--?

: This means the session can be eavesdroped.

: Make sure konsole_grantpty is installed in <--?

: /usr/bin/ and setuid root.

kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104

kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)

kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104

kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)

kio (KLauncher): ERROR: SlavePool: No communication with slave.

Guest GorGor

leeach

I am not rying to muck U around, I said IGNORE my drivel as me thinks the answer is in your other post?

By all means ignore my request to ignore my post, heh heh, but humour me and tell me R U using guarddog in command line mode or do you have graphics (with ROOT)? the other post on msec I did could, just a wild guess, still have some merit cos msec is all about allowing some stuff if root password is used.

Could you have a look at the other post when you get a chance

:wink:

Guest leeach

GorGor thanks for the hint mate, i tried msec 3, yes my setting was on paranoid :lol: , but nooooow.... :shock: ...I get this message, and I am leaving it until someone tells me what I should do, so please help a linux newbie out, opened up guarddog as root from CLI, and this popup appears:

"GUARDDOG" <--- (titlebar)

Guarddog was unable to read the file at /etc/rc.firewall as being a Guarddog firewall.

This probably means that this file is not actually a Guarddog firewall.

This is not a problem, but please note that if you exit Guarddog via the 'Ok' button this file will be overwritten.

If you do not want this to happen, then after closing this message, immediately quit Guarddog using the 'Cancel' button.

Also please be aware that the firewall settings shown may not represent the system's current firewalling configuration.

(Detailed message "Error reading firewall file. This does not appear to be a Guarddog firewall file.")

--------------------------------------

Is it possible that this is an issue dealing with iptables because I do not have iptables running, and guarddog needs that program to be running in order to work , correct?? someone please help! :oops:

Guest GorGor

By all means be cautious, but I seem to remember, a looong time ago I had a similar message the first time you use guarddog.

Assuming you agree, click on ok and allow guarddog to write, BUT you need iptables installed.It is safe to uninstall iptable and re-install to get rid of your crap from the changes you did with those other firewalls , snigger.

However, are you still saying you have no gui , no KDE or other windowmanager running, as the gui of guarddog is the best way.

Be blunt, I don't care if you take my advice or not but let others know as your thread does not make it explicit for us mortals, heh heh

are you now on run level 5 ie with a mouse and a windowmanager?