How to Install IE?

Gnubie

I don;t want to use it, I just need to install it. :P I have used both Wine and Winex andhave attempted to install various versions, but I can never get it to work. I either get an error saying it is already installed, which it is not, or I need a higher version of windows, or more often the installer simpler crashes saying something about a debugger. :o

Any help would be appreciated.

Well all the linux browsers are capable but:

Have you got the most recent Wine?

http://wine.dataparty.no/

for todays rpm

It isnt required for any linux program to run though!!

What programs do you need?

Anyway, you need to configure wine to emulate 98, not the default 95. The highest on 95 is IE 5.5.

Good luck.

James

Well all the linux browsers are capable but:

Have you got the most recent Wine?

http://wine.dataparty.no/  

for todays rpm

It isnt required for any linux program to run though!!  

What programs do you need?  

Anyway, you need to configure wine to emulate 98, not the default 95. The highest on 95 is IE 5.5.

Good luck.

James

Many internet programs require it, especially ad banner supported programs. Plus I figure it will be good practice.

Now, how do I configure wine to emulate 98? I have used winesetuptk to have the look and feel of 98, is that right?

Many internet programs require it, especially ad banner supported programs. Plus I figure it will be good practice.

have you tried a browser like konqueror that lets you set the browser identification? (Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification)

It's generally frowned upon to use this all the time since then it looks like everyone's using windows, but it's easy to set it for particular sites. My bank, for instance, insists that IE is the only secure browser so they only allow IE to access user accounts. But konqueror gets in just fine with fake ID. :wink:

have you tried a browser like konqueror that lets you set the browser identification? (Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification)

It's generally frowned upon to use this all the time since then it looks like everyone's using windows, but it's easy to set it for particular sites. My bank, for instance, insists that IE is the only secure browser so they only allow IE to access user accounts. But konqueror gets in just fine with fake ID. :wink:

Well, that's funny they say it is the only secure browser because I hear all the time of exploits in it. :wink: