SUSE 9.0 scheduled to debut...

Guest JaseP

SUSE has just announced that the new SUSE 9.0 will be available in late October and features many backported many 2.6 enhancements back to the 2.4 kernel, as well as some improved tools such as a new module for YaST2 that allows for easy graphical setup of Samba connections to Win computers.

This is also in conjuntion with a new logo which uses SUSE instead of SuSE, and a new catch phrase "simply change."

See the press announcement here:

http://www.suse.com/us/company/press/press...chive03/90.html

Side note, if you buy it. The DVD has a little treat for you.

I'll give a hint, 2.6 :wink:

Looks very polished! Madadmin wrote up a review here with some nice screenshots.

SuSE was the first Linux to catch my eye and make me want to move to linux instead of win. Still enjoy playing around on a SuSE box, I'll probably do an ftp install when ever that comes out to give her a test run. :wink:

distro-ho out ;-)

I tried SuSE 8.2 once.. I have to say it's a very polished distro. A bit different in doing things than mandrake or redhat even though it's RPM based, but after a few days of using it you can get used to it. Now, if only it doesn't cost 50 dollars (which is a lot for Indonesians). The only niggle I have with SuSE 8.2 is that it doesn't load my nforce2 ethernet module automatically during bootup.

If 9.0 improve upon 8.2, then it could sell like hot-cakes. :)

Can anyone here give us a clear picture on this:

Is the new SUSE 9 is better than Mandrake 9.1/9.2 in terms of stability, package management, and completeness?

Thanks!

Can anyone here give us a clear picture on this:

Is the new SUSE 9 is better than Mandrake 9.1/9.2 in terms of stability, package management, and completeness?

Thanks!

Its all on taste my friend, SuSE is what got me hooked on Linux so I will alway's be greatful for them. IMHO I think it is very stable & very complete, however package management is another story. It is still an RPM distro, I believe that Mandrakes URPMI takes the cake for rpm implementation. There are apt-get repository's for SuSE & RH, but I don't believe that they are as well implemented as urpmi. Thats because Mandrake implemented urpmi into there distro. Apt-get for RH and SuSE are third party applications, however the new "Fedora Project" is implemnting apt-get & yum into there distro. SuSE hasn't done something like this yet(that I know of).