KDE File Mgr Super User won't launch

kmack

KDE 3.1.0 in mdk 9.1 here.

I use Konqueror in "File Manager Super User Mode" from time to time. For some reason it will not start today. I used it last nite and no problems, but had a stall on boot this morning and had to shut down hard, and perhaps corrupted something in the process.

When I click File Manager Super User mode, it opens root pwd dialog and then launches the hour glass to kicker but after a bit it shuts down. I tried from Konsole as root and there are NO error messages in Konsole and had same behaviour as in the GUI. Regular Konqueror as user opens just fine, so it is only affecting the root user.

I have surfed and tried a couple things from other posts (turn off preview; login as root and launch from Konsole, etc) but nothing works so far.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

EDIT: Btw, Alt-F2 and "kdesu konqueror" doesn' t work either.

EDIT:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ kdesu -t konqueror

sh: line 1: konqueror: command not found

So what does that mean? konqueror runs as user but the only error code I am seeing it this one. Hmmmm?

Thanks for the input from everyone!

Ixthusdan: I have texstar's 3.1.3 rpm's-- that maybe my best option, upgrade and see what happens!

pmpatrick: First thing I tried was Konsole and various options of su / kdesu konqueror... no action except for launch of pwd dialog and crash w/o opening

anon: I run ext3 but might give a go at similar approach to file checking under ext3, though after boot crash (originally hung during mount of swap) I allowed it to correct errors (and that might be where some data loss caused this problem)

From searches of google/google linux I see others with same problem, but various "fixes" and so far none have worked for me. :cry: Maybe I just needed a push to go to 9.2 as I was planning on taking a pass on it. :wink:

Thanks for the input from everyone! 

I

Maybe I just needed a push to go to 9.2 as I was planning on taking a pass on it.  :wink:

It's gone in cooker 9.2 as well. Trying to find the bug in bugzilla or the cooker list.

Now I'm really curious. I have cooker (9.2) running bug free. I even did the urpmi update method on Thursday, and the only thing I don't like is the missing screen savers. I use the superuser konq all of the time.

Now I'm really curious. I have cooker (9.2) running bug free. I even did the urpmi update method on Thursday, and the only thing I don't like is the missing screen savers. I use the superuser konq all of the time.

What is the Command under the Execute Tab for Properties on it? Actually you probably have to do into MenuDrake to find it.

Tim

EDIT:

I'd like to see what someone's menudrake setup is too. If someone with a working File Mgr Super User Mode could check menudrake and post, it might help me sort out the problem I have. I tried using another user account and had the same problem on that login too.

I'm not running 9.2 yet, but I think I read on pclinuxonline.com forum that some of the KDE components are broken up / and now install separately instead of the way they were packaged in the past. The thought is to allow more customization and security, I think. GPG keys will be handled differently in package management because of this too.

I believe they are also trying to decide whether they even want to put File Mgr Super User Mode as an option or not! The Darb or Vincent D. made a comment on that. I'll have to go back and look to find the reference.

Thanks Ixthusdan! That helped confirm something for me...mine was the same but it wasn't working. So I think it was a file problem from the bad boot or something else I did when I setup a file or something.

I urpmi'ed texstar's kde 3.1.3 rpm's and things seem fine again. Your earlier suggestion to try that was all the push I needed. Now I have the cool kde texstar logo when I start the GUI! I like it! 8)