Cannot open Packages ...

valeur

When giving the command rpm -i filename.rpm in Mandrake 9.1, the system sometimes responds with the following message:

error: cannot open Packages index using db3

error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

In /var/lib/rpm I have __db.001 and 002, but no file db3. Without having any knowledge what this is all about, I assume it is the missing file db3, which is the problem. Can anyone please tell what should be done here?

Strange thing is locate command reports db1 and db2 are found in /var/lib/rpm, but mc does not list the files. Any help will be appreciated.

valeur

are you root when you're trying this? first, you need to be root to run rpm packages. that's an error you'll usually see if you try running that command as user. second, in some instances, it can be caused if another root session has locked the data base. make sure you only have 1 root session open. third, if it's because you're missing that data base, you need to create it. you can do that via MCC->update sources. i think it's looking for the 3rd (international) MDK install cd database. (somebody correct me if i'm wrong here :roll: ). if that's the case, (i'm at work so i'm doing this from memory) open MCC->update sources, insert the 3rd install cd in your cdrom, click on add->cd source-> then browse to the device you have your cd in->ok->name it->then save (or ok, or apply, whatever the choice is). it will build the data base. when it's done click "save & quit".

Chris

When giving the command rpm  -i filename.rpm in Mandrake 9.1, the system sometimes responds with the following message:

I just had a similar situation, thanks to my own ingenious multitaking! :lol:

I was installing files with urpmi in the konsole to force some dependency problems, while installing and removing packages with RpmDrake. You know, install it, mess around with it a litte, decide you don't want that program, so remove it.

What you get doing that is a corrupted rpm database.

In a terminal, type "rpm --rebuilddb" without quotes.

Try it again, it should work. It fixed my genius!

Tim

are you root when you're trying this? first, you need to be root to run rpm packages. that's an error you'll usually see if you try running that command as user. second, in some instances, it can be caused if another root session has locked the data base. make sure you only have 1 root session open. third, if it's because you're missing that data base, you need to create it. you can do that via MCC->update sources. i think it's looking for the 3rd (international) MDK install cd database. (somebody correct me if i'm wrong here :roll: ). if that's the case, (i'm at work so i'm doing this from memory) open MCC->update sources, insert the 3rd install cd in your cdrom, click on add->cd source-> then browse to the device you have your cd in->ok->name it->then save (or ok, or apply, whatever the choice is). it will build the data base. when it's done click "save & quit".  

Chris

Many thanks for valuable suggestions. It wasn't overly obvious that the error message about db3 actually referred to the 3rd MDK install cd database, particularly when using a scaled-down version of 9.1.consisting of only 2 cd's! I am digging out the 3rd disk from my 9.0 version and believe this will now work fine.

valeur

When giving the command rpm  -i filename.rpm in Mandrake 9.1, the system sometimes responds with the following message:

I just had a similar situation, thanks to my own ingenious multitaking! :lol:

I was installing files with urpmi in the konsole to force some dependency problems, while installing and removing packages with RpmDrake. You know, install it, mess around with it a litte, decide you don't want that program, so remove it.

What you get doing that is a corrupted rpm database.

In a terminal, type "rpm --rebuilddb" without quotes.

Try it again, it should work. It fixed my genius!

Tim

A touch of genius was just what I needed! The option "rebuilddb" worked wonders and even brought back to life the files db1 and db2. Good deal to you.

valeur