There should be a rc3 before releasing Mandrake Linux 9.2

shiyutang

Mandrake Linux 9.2 rc2 has many bugs. Most of the bugs are about internationalization. Becuase so many i18n files are missing in beta 2 and rc 1, users of non-English and non-latin languages should have more time to test. In 9.2 rc2, the Chinese version of OpenOffice.org cannot launch, and the input method for Chinese cannot launch, too. So a rc3 version is needed to test whether these bugs are really fixed.

Well, as far as I know, Mandrake Linux 9.1 has 3 beta testing versions and 2 rc versions, and Mandrake Linux 9.0 has 3 beta and 3 rc versions. But the 9.0 and 9.1 still have many bugs, especially in i18n aspect. Now 9.2 will release only after 2 beta and 2 rc versions, and bugs will be more than 9.0 and 9.1.

We all hope that 9.2 will be better than the historic version 8.2, at least, it will be as good as 8.2. So more test is needed. We will wait until ultimate version 9.2's releasing.

But this is probably better on an existing thread.

You point out a major flaw and its one of many....

Internationalisation has always been a strengh of linux and particularly mandrake.

AS you point out if they just fixed this problem how to test everything else....

But this is also true of lots of things too. If they just patched the init scripts for instance they can't test them all until theyre all actually working and the services they are testing are also tested

There was lots of this in 9.1

I found many servers installed as root....

Many of them implicitly (like mysql) won't run as root.

So once the thing is patched it needs to be tested from a clean install. In the case I mention obviously they didn't. The mysql user was already installed and owned the files so the conflict didn't occur on their testing.

This is the same as the internationalisation issue....

Until you now test OO and install it clean they won't know if it will work until after release and the bugs come flooding back...