cheap computers with linux pre-installed

null

Yes, bvc, that's the ticket! And now I've found 17" refurbs for $29!!! With the price of a 15" panel coming under $300, I expect tubes to really blow out.

The old compaqs were nasty. A stock motherboard sold for $230. I sold a customer a mb, case, processor, and ram, did a switch-out of all the other components for $400. (I was charging $350 to just change the board!)

scoopy mentioned back on the first page that WalMart computer for $498.

Me & my wife just bought that very same machine at W-M for $498 for my wife's daughter (she just started college). So far, it seems decent (for a non-geek college student at least). My wife's daughter just wants email, chatting, and to type her assignments on MS Word or MS Works. It's a good machine for her.

Not that I would buy it though... :lol:

Also, someone mentioned a few posts ago about the power supply & wiring & stuff being "proprietory" on some compaqs - well I was always told that it was DELL that did that not compaq... EG: ppl told me I couldn't just buy a Dell and later switch out the PS - cuz they were diff than everyone else...

They don't wahnt you to upgrade, they want you to buy another....

That just about sums it up. And they all put their proprietary crap in there to cetain extent for the sole purpose of making it more difficult/costly to upgrade. For example, I think dell and gateway have proprietary plugs on their power supplies which won't fit into a standard motherboard. Another compaq story, when NT was coming out, compaq altered their bios so the standard MS NT would not install; you had to buy compaq's oem version which cost $60 more than the MS version or of course, you could always buy a new box from compaq instead.