VMware installation problem

I install vmware fine but when I try to install the gues OS (winXP), vmware just aborts. It always fails when it starts to format the NTFS partition it is going to install XP to. I have tried it as root and as a user but it still fails. I know it works because I've done it before, several times actually, using mdk9, winxp pro, and the latest version of vmware.

Any help please!! Thanks!

-Rich

First things first, what is the primary OS and is it supported by vmware? Second, if NTFS fails then why not try XP using FAT32?

Primary OS is mandrake 9. Although it not listed as being officially supported it has worked flawlessly for me in the past, on several different installs.

I am actually going to try and use FAT32 right now. I will update you on the results!

Primary OS is mandrake 9.  Although it not listed as being officially supported it has worked flawlessly for me in the past, on several different installs.

Mandrake 9 has only been out for a month, how many OSs have you installed using vmware in that time period??

If you look around the board you should find a few other posts about MK9 and vmware. According to those, people have not been able to get it to work, I believe.

Good Luck.

Primary OS is mandrake 9.  Although it not listed as being officially supported it has worked flawlessly for me in the past, on several different installs.

Mandrake 9 has only been out for a month, how many OSs have you installed using vmware in that time period??

If you look around the board you should find a few other posts about MK9 and vmware. According to those, people have not been able to get it to work, I believe.

Good Luck.

I have seen some of those posts, however I have rebuilt my machine a few times with mandrake 9 and have gotten vmware to work. The only difference between the those installs and this one is that I am actually working as a user, not as root!

I don't understand why so many people have problems with installing VMWare on Mandrake 9. You only have to follow the instructions of vmware-config.pl or read the manual first, usual stuff.

In the past month I have installed 5 Mandrake desktops with VMWare 3.2 evaluation and licenced versions.

I don't understand why so many people have problems with installing VMWare on Mandrake 9. You only have to follow the instructions of vmware-config.pl or read the manual first, usual stuff.

In the past month I have installed 5 Mandrake desktops with VMWare 3.2 evaluation and licenced versions.

Maybe so many people are having problems with vmware because each linux install is not the same. Therefore there may be something installed or not installed that is causing vmware to behave erratically. I too have installed vmware on MDK9 on several times without any problems, but this time something is causing it to not work!

How about offering some useful advice rather than assuming that since you can do it so should everyone else!!!!

I'm sorry but I'm not obliged to provide you any advice, and that is not a reason why you should lose your cool. Believe me, worse things happen :)

If you managed to install the software previously, try to determine the the factors that have changed, e.g. different kernel, hardware...

Also, did you submit a support request to VMWare?

I'm sorry but I'm not obliged to provide you any advice, and that is not a reason why you should lose your cool. Believe me, worse things happen :)

If you managed to install the software previously, try to determine the the factors that have changed, e.g. different kernel, hardware...

Also, did you submit a support request to VMWare?

I'm not sure if you know where you are posting, but that is why this forum was created, so that people can share ideas and help each other. Last time I checked it wasn't created to just post what you've managed to accomplish and not lend a helping hand if possible. So unless your willing to shed some light on this situation, post your accomplishments elsewhere!

Sorry for digressing, but here is what I've tried to do this far, and still have no clue what is going on.

Installing vmware using the source code or the rpm package is successfull. I configure it for a WIN XP guest OS and that goes well. The problem occurs during the installation of the Guest OS. It loads the initial setup files and prompts to create the partition. If I select either an NTFS or FAT32 partition the same thing happens, vmware just aborts and I can't get back in unless I completely uninstall and start over!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Rich