internet connection trouble

Guest ByrnedHead

Guest ByrnedHead

I just installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday. Most things seem to be working well, but I can't connect to the internet, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I'm connecting via a DEC 21140 "FasterNet" ethernet adapter. I think the drivers are working properly. When I try to connect through the Control Center, it tries to connect for a few seconds, I receive a few kilobytes, and then it says it doesn't work. It seems to be able to detect my IP, gateway, and so forth without too much difficulty, so I don't know why I can't connect.

Also, this is my first linux install, and I'm probably only a third as informed as I should be. Calling me a newbie is quite an understatement. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to Mandrakeusers.org!

First, I would verify the proper function of the nic. Other than out right hardware failure, an irq conflict is usually the cause of what you describe. You can check it out with HardDrake.

MCC>Hardware>HardDrake

Note that PLug and Play needs to be off in the bios when installing a linux system. Linux uses the bios to identify and use hardware.

I use to have the same problem, try this:

Edit /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

At the very beggining of the file you must find the #Ethernet Card connected to the adsl modem, title, then it should read:

ETH=eth1 (this is my case, because my adsl modem is connected to eth1 ethernet)

Here is the problem, i dont know if this is the bug, but in my case the original statement was:

ETH=eth1 (using 3com module)

i mean the "(using 3com module) shouldnt be there cos it wont connect properly, so if you have ETH=ethx (XXXXX) just delete the (XXXXXX) just leave ETH=ethx nothing more nothing less.

The same should be checked at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net-cnx-up:

at the 3º line check for ethx (XXXXXXXX) just delete (XXXXXXXX) save and then:

at konsole type:

service internet restart

service adsl restart

if this was the problem you should get ......Connected!

Hope it works.

Emilio