IP sharing between MDK9 and VMWare workstation.

Guest SDMF

I have a Windows 2000 Professional VM, that I want to share the same internet connection with my MDK9 workstation. Is this possible to do, without having the VM try to query DCHP and get its own address? We are only allowed 2 network connections per room, so when my roommate has his computer on, this means no internet for the VM.

What you could do is to enable ICS (internet connection sharing) in your mandrake box. Then, the vmware workstation would get its ip from your dhcp server... all internally. This is what I'm doing. I have two network card. Eth0 is connected to the net and eth1 to my LAN (my girlfriend's Mac). My ISP allow only one IP per phone number (adsl). So I share my internet connection with my girlfriend's computer as well as my win98 in vmware. You have to have Bridged network enable in vmware so that your win2k act just like another computer..

If you want more details let me know

MOtts

Well, I enabled ICS, but when I turn it on, I lose my connection to the internet completely. Does ICS fully take control of an ethernet adapter, meaning I would need another card to connect to the net?

A yeah that's true. When you actually configure ICS in the MCC you have to tell it on which eth is your LAN. However you only have 1 eth so you lose your connection..

I personnaly have 2 ethernet card and bridged vmware to eth1, the same as my LAN, on which ICS is enabled. So, my eth0 receives the signal from my ISP and I share it via eth1 (LAN and vmware).

If you only have 1 nic I'm sure there is a way but I don't know how. Have you look at the network section on the vmware website?

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/network_ws.html

Sorry.

MOttS

Guest madturtle

I have ICS enable on my Mdk 9 system and both my wife's Windoze system & amother Linux box all talking to the net at the same time. You can also do this through ICS on the Windoze machine. You must have a lan connection established with each computer either via serial port or parallel port or USB port direct cable connection or via ethernet card. If you use ethernet card & are connecting to cable modem you must have 2 cards. One for the lan one for the cable modem. The mac address on thecard connecting to the cable modem must not change so you have to use the one registered with the ISP for your internet connection. If you are going to use 2 ethernet cards which use cat 5 type cable you will need a cat 5 crossover cable to connect the 2 computers together. A standard cat 5 will not work.

Another alternative would be to get a hub & connect it to the cable modem.

• 1 month later...