Oxford Semiconductor Ltd serial controller not setup in 9.0

Guest ab9ft

Dear All:

I have an Oxford Semiconductor Ltd serial controller (OX16PCI952) with Mandrake 9.0 that isn't being setup/assigned right (When I first installed it, probing serial ports,it didn't work). This is the output of lspci -vv with the card:

00:04.0 Serial controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd: Unknown device 950a (prog-if 06 [16950])

Subsystem: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd: Unknown device 0000

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10

Region 0: I/O ports at 1420

Region 1: Memory at 80100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 2: I/O ports at 1440

Region 3: Memory at 80200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: <available only to root>

Mandrake 9.0 detects this card as from the lspci -vv output, but when I look at "dmesg | less" ,after bootup, output to see if it set some ports for it, no ports show up.

The next step that I attempted to do was first create the nodes and the links and see if I could do this manually:

mknod /dev/tts/4 -m 622 c 4 68

mknod /dev/tts/5 -m 622 c 4 69

ln -s /dev/tts/4 /dev/ttyS4

ln -s /dev/tts/5 /dev/ttyS5

Then, I went to setserial. I could setup everything but the UART. The autoconfig option in setserial was tried to find the UART but to no prevail. I found out from an installation of 8.2 mentioned below, that it found the UART as 16C950/954 and I don't think that can be setup manually, but automatically.

Once after that, I decided to try 8.2 (same card) to see if there was a problem with the card. When 8.2 booted up, it correctly assigned everything correctly.

Is there a reason that 9.0 doen't assign the ports for the card (when it is detected ok) and 8.2 finds it right and assigns it?

Is there something additionally else that I must do to get it working correctly or is my manual procedure incorrect?

I will appreciate all reponses.

Thank you.