Eterm and line wrapping

Guest BooYah

Eterm can't seem to handle line wrapping at the bash prompt when it's not in a maximumized window. Instead of wrapping, the cursor goes back to the begining and starts overwriting the same line. The whole command goes though, but things get ugly when I try to go back in history to resuse or edit or a previous command.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Do you have a customized bash prompt? After I customized mine, I had the over-writing-on-same-line problem, until I read this:

In addition to this change, we need to surround all non-printing characters with special bash escape sequences, "[" and "]". These sequences will tell bash that the enclosed characters don't take up any space on the line, which will allow word-wrapping to continue to work properly. Without them, you'll end up with a nice-looking prompt that will mess up the screen if you happen to type in a command that approaches the extreme right of the terminal.

This is an excerpt from this page.

I checked my prompt again and found I'd left out a "[" sequence. Once I put it in, the problem disappeared

Edit: I'm using Konsole, but I'm sure the rule holds for Eterm