Optimal Distrobution for "moobies"

Guest vande198

Guest vande198

I've been fooling around with linux for a year now, primarily with MDK 9.0 and 9.1 and (right now) SuSE 8.2. I'm looking for a distrobution like Arch or Gentoo that allow higher optimizations (i686 and up) and some sort of advanced package management system (like apt-get, urpmi, pacman, portage, etc.) I feel confident using the command like (I use urpmi and apt-get almost exclusively from the command line), yet I'm intimidated by the extravagent installation procedure of Arch and Gentoo. Is there a distrobution out there with the features of Gentoo/Arch but with a installation procedure more like Libranet's text-based or easier?

I've been fooling around with linux for a year now, primarily with MDK 9.0 and 9.1 and (right now) SuSE 8.2.  I'm looking for a distrobution like Arch or Gentoo that allow higher optimizations (i686 and up) and some sort of advanced package management system (like apt-get, urpmi, pacman, portage, etc.)  I feel confident using the command like (I use urpmi and apt-get almost exclusively from the command line), yet I'm intimidated by the extravagent installation procedure of Arch and Gentoo.  Is there a distrobution out there with the features of Gentoo/Arch but with a installation procedure more like Libranet's text-based or easier?

Those are about it.

i686 optimized that I know of:

arch = http://www.archlinux.org

gentoo = http://www.gentoo.org

beehive = http://www.beehive.nu/ dead

pld = http://www.pld.org.pl/

rock = http://www.rocklinux.org/

sol = http://www.sol-linux.com/ I think it's dead

Guest vande198
PS I'm very impressed with Arch's setup.  Could there be an easier way to install Arch like Libranet out there?

You will have to make one. :wink:

I was afraid of that. I knew my B.A.s in Philosophy and German would come in handy. :-P

well persoanlly if you take it slow you shpould have no trouble with it. arch's instal is not really that hard and if you have another computer you can be online with while you install your can just go to the irc channel and get "live" help if anyone is around.

if you don't fear the commandline, know the contents of your conputer, know a little bit about grub or lilo, and know a little bit about how your insternet is setup than i really don't think you will have trouble. it's an installer not philosophy :wink:

I've also been looking for a distribution like this.

I was going to order Gentoo CDs, but compiling everything seems uber-tedious.

Arch sounds like a plan. What is pacman like? Compared to portage? Do I have to add sources like urpmi, or will it know what and where like apt-get? Does it have a lot of packages listed? Does it solve dependencies?

Sorry for all the q's, but the package managment has become my main concern in looking for a new distro to 'learn' with...

Arch sounds like a plan. What is pacman like?

excellent

Compared to portage?

well they are very different tools so i don't know if they really compare. portage runs a bunch of stuuf that builds and installs the software based on your settings pacman downloads and installs precompiled binaries. while in some respects it functions like portage it is mor like apt or ports.

Do I have to add sources like urpmi, or will it know what and where like apt-get?

there are three repositories all which use the same servers so no you will not have to specify a server. you may need to specify which repository you want to use though.

Does it have a lot of packages listed? Does it solve dependencies?

compared to what...the top five distros? no we only have about eight developers that work on package maintenance so no we do not have alot of package but we do add when we can and there are lots of user donated packages available (which are not yet endorsed by arch) and it is quite easy to make your own package and repository (complete with dependency solving)

yes pacman solves dependencies.

Sorry for all the q's, but the package managment has become my main concern in looking for a new distro to 'learn' with...

no problem.

Thanks Sarah! I'm going to give it a #bash.

I just have question to add to the pile above, it's a big issue I have with urpmi - upgrading. Currently, if I have something installed and I want to install a later version (which isn't listed on Mandrake update), then I kinda have to uninstall it first and then install the latest one, etc. etc.

How does pacman handle this?

It seems to be a more convenient distro then Gentoo, so off I go to find out more...

I just have question to add to the pile above, it's a big issue I have with urpmi - upgrading. Currently, if I have something installed and I want to install a later version (which isn't listed on Mandrake update), then I kinda have to uninstall it first and then install the latest one, etc. etc.

How does pacman handle this?

what exactly do you mean here, SoulSe? are yup upgrading with source or precompiled binaries? because it's a big difference. The thing you have to realize with arch is that due to it being sorta young you won't find packages for it many places other than on the arch servers. now, if you compile it from source, like just about any packaging system, pacman won't recognize it being there. but you COULD make a package for it with makepkg and then install the package so that pacman knows what's goin' down.

Guest vande198

oh well....maybe I'll just stick with MDK. I mean if i686 optimization is only nominally better thatn i586, I guess it would be just as easy to stick with mdk. I really don't (shouldn't) have time to do all this fooling around. *sigh*

Guest vande198

I just found out about Onebase, which claims to be a source-based distro for newbies. I'm a little sceptical about how user-friendly such a distro can be. Anyone out there fooled with Onebased?

You can also have a look at Yoper, a nice i686 optmized distro.

www.yoper.com

Tried it once and on my Inspiron 4000 (p3 800, 256 mb ram) it was quite fast. Faster than JAMD (which is great, BTW) and Mandrake, IMHO.

It seemed to come customized for a desktop setup (numlock on by default) and at the time I had no patien... errr time to fiddle with it.

Support (for free) seems shaky, but Linux is Linux everywhere.

NOTE: JAMD really is great for newbies who don't want to fiddle with installing apps and just want an pretty, easy to use Linux. I did not see any noticeable performance jumps from the i686 optimizations. Strangely, Yoper seems to do better in that dept.