linux building settopbox

Michel

Hey , I was CONSIDERING..building a settopbox with linux.

I looked at via motherboards..the M10000-motherboard and the C3 and Eden processors.

*Since I maybe want to make it alsao an wireless accespoint..I suppose the C3 will be better not?

*Anyway....I would liek to use a remote control..so Is uppose I need LIRC. Can I recieve IRC-signals with thos motherboard..I suppose so..btu how...it ahs a cir and cir -connector...Doesn't this have nything to do with it? Does it will work with my normal remote control....(the remote control can handle a dvd-menu, so maybe these buttons are also handy to cpntrol the mouse pointer or shitch buttons on the screen...

*Mayeb a little general. But what software/hardware do I need to build a wireless accespoint? I suppose a wireless card...but anything else?

thanks...

you may always upload your content if you want to do that...I tried your link rcxau but it only gives me a blank screen..Are you hiding content behind a blank index.html?

Thanks for the sugegstions...I'm endeed trying to make it as cheap as possible without having a crappy system. I think a 700 Mhz processor would enough if I have a video-card and audio-card and those also don't have to be the latest....

It's just has to work...and for playing movies and listening to music (and networking), you really don't need a state-of-the-art computer I think.

My biggest problem I think will be finding all teh necessary compnents. I'm picky..I still want it new enough, but not too new..soo it will cost me a a lot of money...

I have a VIA M10000 with 1GHz C3 Nehemiah (I'm currently logged on from this machine). It will playback MPEGs well using the onboard hardware decoder. I don't know about other formats which can't use hardware decoding. It also has onboard 5.1 surround sound. I only have two speakers so I haven't tried that out either. The hardware 3D is not particularly powerful (forget 3D games) but the 2D acceleration is good. You have a choice of RGB, composite, or S-video out. Peripherals include 10/100Mbps ethernet, six USB2.0 ports, 2 firewire ports, two serial ports, parallel port, 2x ide UDMA 133, floppy, and one PCI slot, just to mention a few.

Glitz.

I'm also looking into toher brands...

I've found this one interesting:

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7...vm/overview.htm

(looks good to me anyway...it's probably a little bit more expensive because I also need to buy the cpu :))

and also a chaintec one(but their site seems to be down...)

(I'm looking for amd-boards)

I would also need a amd-processor (I suppose the processor is build-in on the via epia, not?).

The lowest amd-thlon-xp is the 1500, so I looked for fans for that one. An important thing is that I don't want any sound and it has to use not to much energy(although this last thing is hard to check if not listed :)).

THIS IS THE QUESTION(:)):

I looked at molex and they have a fan that produces 35 db, but how much is 35 db??(:D). Anyway can someone help me on this thing?

32dBA @ 1m is whisper quiet. That's what the M10000 fan puts out. 35dBA (assuming also at 1m) should be roughly twice that (although hearing is nonlinear and very subjective).

The Epia boards include a CPU that is not removable.

You can expect the Athlon 1500XP to produce a lot of heat and take a lot of power. The Athlon alone probably takes about as much power as the entire Epia board including CPU and memory. You can also expect the Athlon to be much more powerful.

The Epia board will also take up about half the area of a mini-ATX board.

You are also going to need a power supply and it will have a fan in it as well. The smaller the power supplly the higher the likelyhood that it will have a quiet fan. You probably wont need more than a 75W power supply for the EPIA M10000, a hard drive, and a CDROM. You probably wont find a power supply smaller than about 150W though.

Glitz.