Lucent Orinoco WiFi card not working after upg. to Mandrake9

Guest ricardo

Guest ricardo

Hi,

I have a Lucent Orinoco wavelan card which was working fine with Mandrake8. I just upgraded to Mandrake9. During installation the card was recognized, including the configuration settings in Mandrake 8, but after rebooting, the card is not seen by Mandrake9. I tried the network wizard from the control center. The card is not auto-detected. I've tried to manually load the following drivers: orinoco_cs, orinoco_plx, wvlan_cs and wevelan_cs, but in all cases the drivers fail to load.

What's wrong?

Thanks for your help and regards,

Ricardo

• 2 weeks later...

well not 100% sure. but i have a toshiba with a orinococ silver from hp. was working fine till i upgraded pcmcia. i did some reading and can tell you from what i've seen. you should not try to enter a driver in the network config screen it gets loaded from pcmcia. to test things out boot with card out. then run (if it is in the same place in 9 i am running 8.1)

/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia stop and then same thing but start and see if pcmcia starts ok. if it dose insert your card and see if it detects. it will detect on it's own. if it dose then i am not sure what is wrong casue i have the same problem. but at least you know what is wrong. if you can not get pcmcia to start then you know that is the problem. to see if card gets detected turn up speaker and listen for two beeps after you insert the card. if so your card should be working. you can then run ifconfig or iwconfig to look at the settings or cardctl ident to see how the card was detected. if you only get one beep then there is most likely something wrong with the pcmcia set up. tey looking in /var/log messages for errors.

if when you start pcmcia you see a message saying starting pcmcia over and over then you have the same problem as me. this will go on for about 20 seconds then you will see an error and then it will say carmgr running about 60 times and then the card will run.

not a lot but it might help.

dave