Redhat 9 and mplayer, wine

At the momment Im running redhat 9, I say at the momment because I'm considering going back to Mandrake, or getting another hard drive and triple(?) booting. anyways, I used apt-get to install mplayer, if I use the run command gmplayer, it runs no problem. But it doesn't show up in my multimedia menu. I want to add mplayer to either my desktop or taskbar, but I'm not sure how. If it was in the multimedia menu it would be so easy, but since its not, where do i find it? I know its probally so simple, but can't figure it out.

Also how do you uninstall programs in linux? I'm going to install wine, but when a new one comes out Ill want to update, so how is that done?

I want to add mplayer to either my desktop or taskbar, but I'm not sure how. If it was in the multimedia menu it would be so easy
First find the executable. Open a terminal window, and execute:

bash$ which gmplayer

/usr/bin/gmplayer

Then open the menu editor, and add a menu entry. For the command to run, enter the result of the 'which' command above.

Also how do you uninstall programs in linux? I'm going to install wine, but when a new one comes out Ill want to update, so how is that done?
For simplicity, try to install as much as possible using the RPM package system (this might interest you: http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?p=10892#10892, especially the part about checkinstall).

Then removing a package is simple. First identify the package name, then remove it. Example:

# which wine

/usr/bin/wine

# rpm -qf /usr/bin/wine

wine-20030806-1mdk

# rpm -e wine-20030806-1mdk

and the package is removed.

Note: 'bash$ ' is a normal user command prompt, and '# ' is root's command prompt.

I hope this helps.

Yves.

Then open the menu editor
:?

what menu editor? I didn't know rh9 had one? What's it called? I thought the files had to be edited manually. :?

You should be able to just create a link on the desktop to gmplayer. That's what I did in rh9....then I put it in the drawer.

what menu editor? I didn't know rh9 had one
:shock: Why do you use RedHat then? Is it that prehistoric :lol:

If you want to edit files, then at least choose some kind of standard, and go Debian or Mandrake (see http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=7443).

Yves.

Ok Im in. Now I know more than I did yesterday at least, but it still isn't much :lol: . Anyways I now have a quick launch icon for mplayer. Thanks.

I looked at my /etc/apt/sources folder and it was empty. Can I specify in synaptic to always download the src.rpm?? Or does it matter. I'm still not clear on src. files. Do I want them in the event of a system upgrade? ie- redhat9.xx or 10 or 11 or whatever??

And the reason Im now using Redhat is: It looks better to me, their version of supermount works, and it gets me more linux experience. I want to eventually try Debian, Lunar, maybe Gentoo, and then decide which suits me the best. I had good luck using Mandrake( 2-3months) I've only been using redhat a couple of weeks (work has limited my actual time) so in a few months I'll try another distro, but I have a feeling That for me its between Redhat and Mandrake, simply because of my family- The other distros seem too difficult for those with little computer knowledge. Not That I have much :lol:

what menu editor? I didn't know rh9 had one
:shock: Why do you use RedHat then? Is it that prehistoric :lol:

If you want to edit files, then at least choose some kind of standard, and go Debian or Mandrake (see http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=7443).

Yves.

bvc: takeing the approach of running a RPM and a better distro. :wink: That way he can understand two different base systems. MDK just happens to be better than RH. :wink: