PCMCIA - no beeps

Guest chisquare

Guest chisquare

Dear Linux deities: I am trying to use the LinkSys WPC11 v4 card in my Gateway Solo 1400 with Mandrake 9.1. When I insert the card in the the second slot (the only one it fits into) there is no response from the OS (no sounds, nothing). Does this mean that the PCMCIA slots are not configured correctly, or that the card is not being recognized? If it were the latter, I would have expected the characterisitc beeps. :?: I have already read the threads about issues with version 4 of the WPC11 card. My question has more to do with the PCMCIA slots than the card at this point. In case it isn't obvious, I'm a newbie. :shock:

Pendantic explanations appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Word of thanks to those who have helped me so far: My Linux experience has not been an easy one. But I must say rewarding so far. The eat-what-you-kill learning experiencing is making me a leaner, meaner computer user than in my fat, lazy Windows days (which are not that long ago). Many thanks to the Mandrakeusers community.

Guest chisquare

Hi LiquidZoo, when I boot up with the card already inserted there are no error messages. When I check PCMCIA hardware (in Control Center), I see

Card 0:empty

Card 1:

A null value for Card 1.

No info available? That's strange.

I did a quick google search and found a page that gives you step by step instructions on how to install that particular card. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-Link-sy...WPC11/x101.html

It does involve editing some files by hand, but you should be able to do it with no problems. I am a little concerned that cardctl ident didn't produce any results, though.

Guest chisquare

OK, I'm back but with no success to report. I tried using the driver and instructions from http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wireless-Link-sy...WPC11/x101.html but couldn't get past step one. After changing the includepath line, I got the following error:

gcc -06 -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX -I /usr/local/include/ -DRTL_IO_MAP -DRTL_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DRTL_ACT_AS_STA -c -o r8180_pci_init.o r8180_pci_init.c

make: gcc: Commande not found

make: *** [r8180_pci_init.o] Error 127

Now, line 127 of the r8180_pci_init.c file is:

SET_MODULE_OWNER(dev);

So I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Note: the cardctl ident command still returns:

Socket 0: no product info available

Guest chisquare

Another thing: "cardctl ident" returns "Socket 0: no product info available," and when I try to eject the card strange things happen. First I enter "cardctl eject". No messages after hitting enter (seems to have accepted the command). When I physically eject the card, the desktop freezes and I must reboot. Is this a hardware setup issue, or a network card issue?