Kernel Gone Bad?

ac_dispatcher

Something really odd happened this morning. My wife's mouse stopped working so I gave her mine (USB mouse). I hooked her mouse (USB) to my MDK laptop and booted. I got alot of errors (module - HID) on boot. To include the "cannot read ext3 file system, not supported by the kernel". It gave me alot of errors that I had invailid option in my fstab. Also gave me alot of invaild lines in my /etc/modules.conf file (alot).

At first I thought it might be a config file in /etc. Booted to my Gentoo partition, mount all my MDK partions and they mounted fine - no errors. The only thing I could see a was a blank XF86Config file. After checking a couple of files I decided that I really would not know for sure if a file was setup wrong. Thankfully I had a backup copy of my complete /etc directory that was about a week old. So I replaced the whole /etc directory so be safe. - Same big time errors on boot.

The only other thing I could think of was my kernel. I had a MDK boot disk so I tried it out. On boot it said that it had no ext3 support so I could not get into my /home directory. I did get into a working root desktop (no lan). This makes me believe some how that putting a "faulty" USB mouse messed up the kernel? Weird thing is the mouse would not work in Windows / MDK / Gentoo as a USB, but would work connected to a ps2 port with an adapter.

Some info:

/boot (ext2)

/ - reiserfs

/usr - reiserfs

/home- ext3

The "25mdk" kernel. (Sorry not at home.)

I have not deleted the partions yet so Im thinking of a chroot and recompile a kernel. But to be honest I have never gotten a MDK kernel to work yet. I have taken the source copied to my /home took the stock config file recompiled a loaded it to /boot. On boot to my new kernel I would get the neverending reboot., with nothing changed from the stock config. Ive got a gentoo kernel working many times. I had a generic 2.4 kernel to work with an unchanged MDK config. But no luck the the MDK sources.

Additonal note: on boot my laptop keyboard will not work until it boots to graphic mode. Unless I type "nousb" (but its a usb mouse) or tap on the keyboard during boot which does not work some times. Only way is to hard boot and try again. Would turning the computer down during a boot mess the kernel up?

I really don't have an answer to a lot of your questions, but USB support in MDK is still iffy, so that is why a USB mouse will work in a PS/2 port with adapter, but not in the USB port.

As for turning of the computer during boot: Yes, it could conceivably corrupt the filesystem (not really the kernel), depending on whether or not the filesystems were mounted when you shut it down. Have you tried to insert the first installation disk and hit F1 at the splash and go to rescue mode and go into a console and do

e2fsck -cpv /dev/hda (or whatever your HD is)

The 'p' option is to automatically repair, so if your filesystem is pretty corrupt, there's a chance that this option could be the final blow, but if that's the case, it was too far gone anyway.