Installing Mandrake on a Thinkpad 385XD

Guest Glaucus

Guest Glaucus

hello Linux-people,

Ultra-Newbie here -- bear with me. i wanted to check out Linux, so i tried installing it on an old Thinkpad 385XD that's been completely formatted. i don't have Windows CDs at hand, but i managed to get the installation program running on a boot disk.

however, after configuring PCMCIA and doing something or other about SCSI, it gives me an error message saying "no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems."

at this point i'm absolutely clueless. any ideas?

thanks.

Guest jglen490

The "something or other" about SCSI, should have been to just say No.

Try the re-install, but tell it that you have no SCSI devices. I believe that is what has confused the installer. The TP 385XD has one regular old ATA harddrive, just like my TP365XD but larger. The install should go really smooth for this machine and with a P233 (or P266, depending on exact model), it should go fairly quick. However, the best you can do for yourself and your Linux experience, is to max out your RAM (96MB on that TP, I believe).

As I said, I'm "talking" to you right now with a TP 365XD (P120/72MB/3.1GB) running Mandrake 9.1 and using IceWM as my window manager. It was a slick install and aside from being slow and rather underpowered, it is very stable.

thanks for the advice; i've been hit by the Worm (Welchia), so i've been down for a while. another great reason to switch to Linux.

i'll have another shot next week, hopefully. i don't know whether there's actually a SCSI board or devices installed; i'll have a look. but the message about SCSI was just a passing bit of output rather than a dialog box, so i couldn't say "yes or no" at all. i haven't actually told it that i have any SCSI stuff.

i've managed to install XP on it, though, so maybe i'll try installing Mandrake from there; i don't know whether it'll make a big difference.