HHEELLPP LILO BOOT LOADER.

neocytrix

Hello everyone.

I have recently re-installed Linux Mandrake and I chose to just make the floppy so I could use linux when I wanted yet still allow the rest of my family to boot up into windows. However now I need the disk to bring up the lilo boot loader to load any OS if no disk is in it just goes "L 99 99 99" and so on until it fills my screen up with that. Does anyone out there know how to fix this perhaps mabey a boot cd and someway to change the boot settings? I don't know.

THANKS

-Neocytrix

With your install cd, boot with it. At the splash screen hit F1, type rescue. Follow the prompts to restore the windows mbr.

Why not install lilo so that the default boot is windex?? Surely everyone could get used to a 5 second screen offering a choice!! Just leave the default boot windex, so that windex users have to do nothing but wait.

You can use the above method to re-install lilo.

Guest fubar::chi

you can use the install disk and remove LILO.

To do that, once the splash screen comes up type

rescue

then choose the option to restore the windows boot loader.

Then use your disk to boot into linux and reinstall lilo properly.

Or try grub. btw paste the contents of /etc/lilo.conf here. Someone here mine need it to help

You can use lilo to boot everything and set the timeout to 1 second. When you want to use it, just keep hitting the downarrow during boot so you catch it :)

Boot floppies are a pain if you ask me.

After booting off the CD1 and typing rescue and going to the prompt, you can type

chroot /mnt

This tells linux to make the root of the file system = /mnt. So before if you type

cd /

You actually go to the root of the CD and /mnt contains your root.

After you type chroot /mnt, if you type

cd /

You are at your file systems root just as it would be if you started linux normally.