Isntalling in an old PC: P166, 32MB RAM, HD 3GB

VILLA21

Yes can run Linux on it, you should even be able to run X. BUT I wouldn't trying running KDE 3 or Gnome 2 on it. If you try to run a modern desktop distro like Mandrake 9.1 you'll be disappointed. If you a lower spec distro (or an older verison of MDK) you can still turn it into a usefull machine. My first Linux PC was P200 with 32MB RAM, and that ran MDK 7.2 very happily, inclusinf KDE 1.something.

What do you want to use it for?

We used my old p200 as an internet gateway and file server for over a year. It was powered by Linux and worked really well. The only time it "broke" was when we came back to Uni after Christmas, we tried to switch it on only to find the HDs had seized up in the cold. :lol:

I use my old pentium 100MHz with 48MB ram and a 1GB hard drive as an internet gateway and print server as well. Three years of 24/7 operation and still running. I do have to take it down on occasion to reclaim the drive space from the log files and the reiser filesystem but not too often.

Glitz.

I too use an old Pentium 100 as a gateway/router.

I think the 32MB won't be enough for the graphical install so you will need to use text mode install.

But mostly I wouldn't necassarily recommend Mandrake if your using it like this. You won't get a good experience in X with 32MB, it might let you test a few things but it won't run nice!

Ahh.. just read mtweidmans post again... Yep I agree with everything so why say it again!

An interesting thing I did with mine was using the E-Smith SME sever.

It does all the routing, SAMBA, http etc. and webmail. Its a bit slow on a P100 but ...

It is however a customised REDHAT. No X etc. its really made to lock away in a cupboard with no mouse/keyb/screen and it does that perfectly. Only ever reboot is a powercut or changing the hostname.

I'd do that or an older distro as opposed to the meatier ones of today !!

I use my old pentium 100MHz with 48MB ram and a 1GB hard drive as an internet gateway and print server as well.  Three years of 24/7 operation and still running.  I do have to take it down on occasion to reclaim the drive space from the log files and the reiser filesystem but not too often.

Glitz.

Any guides-links to use it in this way? (internet gateaway..etc)

My main PC is a dual-boot WinXP-Mandrake 9.1...

All I did was use what came with the LM8.1 powerpack edition. I configured a minimal system with icewm light (I think that's what it's called) and a few apps from the CDs. I basically have Bastille as a firewall. Going through the bastille-interactive setup program configured the firewall and internet sharing stuff. I also have SAMBA for windows print sharing and KUPS for linux print sharing. I use SWAT to set up SAMBA and the KUPS configuration program (I forget what it's called) to set up KUPS.

That's it.

Glitz.

PS. Oh, and I also have the SSH server installed on it so I can administer the machine from my room (the server is in the basement).

Guest jglen490

32MB is a bit slim, but the rest is fine. My first Mandrake experience was on a P180, 64MB machine and was on an unused 1GB partition on my wife's machine. It was slow, but it was fun!!

Yes I do have a fixation with low-powered machines, but the price was right and the challenge, good.

The best thing you can do is put as much RAM as you can. At least 64MB, but more if you can. Linux is really happy with lots of RAM to play in.

Is it possible?..... 32Mb of RAM is enough?
YES :) See:

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3616

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1818

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?p=9787#9787

Except:

- I suggest you use IceWM, not Fluxbox. IceWM is nice-looking, and much lighter.

- For both web and mail, I suggest you use Netscape 4, the last version of which can be found on Netscape's site (version 4.8, if I remember correctly).

And if you want, you can make your old machine use the power of a more powerfull machine: simply turn the weak machine into a X terminal. See here:

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4673

Anyway, that was just to say that all is possible with latest Mandrake + Netscape4 download. You'll surely run into some difficulties at some point, especially if you want to setup your machine as a X terminal, but then just ask, and someone (maybe me if I can) will help you. Bye :)

Yves.