Updating Mandrake

Guest DeathsFriend

Guest DeathsFriend

Hi Guys,

I know you must all be sick to death of this, but I'm getting kinda annoyed with my machine now. I have two desktops, both running Mandrake 9.0 PowerPack. I want to update to KDE 3.1.3. Easy enought, I thought. Until I tried. Thankfully, I've only cabbaged my second desktop, so no work lost, however, I'd REALLY like to know, in step-by-step-click-here-type-this format how to update.

I have the download edition of Mandrake 9.1, and I tried using that to upgrade, and oh, boy that right royally screwed everything up. There isn't anything special about my two machines - they're both the same spec (right down to the motherboard), and I would like to keep them upto date.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions (and now I've re-read my post, flames) ? I would really like to get going with Linux, I fancy testing my somewhat dusty C/C++ skills in it.

Thanks in advance guys,

DeathsFriend

Occassionally, I get things wrong.... Its when I get them right that worries me.

Welcome to the board.

MDK 9.2 final will be released soon, so you might want to wait for that.

If you don't well, while some people have no problems upgrading, many do.

The safest bet is to do a fresh install, during the install choose custom setup or custom disk partitioning, elect to NOT format your /home partition, that way you won't loose any of your personal files or data.

Please browse through our FAQs and search facility for more specific detail.

anon is right. if you leave your home partition alone, all of your user-specific config files will still be there. you can also use urpmi to do some of the updating. though, coming from 9.0, I would have to suggest waiting a few days or weeks until the 9.2 final iso's start coming out.

On my test box I upgraded 9.1 to 9.2 rc1 and it went beautifully. No problems, at all.

When 9.1 final was released, I upgraded the 9.0 install on my main box. I backed up everything first, of course. It went beautifully, as well.

I've had excellent luck doing version upgrades. YMMV. :wink: