Samba problem using Windows shares

fdservices

I read somewhere that there may be a bug in the Samba/Mandrake 9.1 distribution. Do I need an update?

I have set up Samba and for some reason cannot connect or even see the shares on the windows machines on our network. I can see all the machines, and the windows pcs can see and connect to all my linux shares.

I have run all the normal checks (I think), but with no luck.

Network machines are running 98SE.

Anyone any ideas?

Andrew

Hi fdservices

Welcome !

We need a bit more details to help you man. What did you try exactly? Did you play with any GUI in Linux or only smbclient to see/connect to Win32 machines? Did you write your workgroup in /etc/samba/smb.conf? Give us some more details!

MOttS

Set up samba by viing smb.conf. Set up two public shares on the linux box. Ran testparm and came up with a list of ssl* errors. Commented out those lines, (also left them in to see if they made any difference) assume that ssl is not compiled into the kernel. Pinged in both dircetions - OK. smbclient -L server gives list of shares. nmblookup -b serevr __SAMBA__ gives ip address of server. nmblookup -B pcclient give ip address of client.

nmblookup -d 2 "*" lists all addresses. smbclient //serevr/public logs on to the public directory.

On the PCs network neighbourhood lists all machines including the linux server and all shares on all machines. Can read and write to all shares specified in smb.conf.

On Server Komba2, Linneigborhood, Gnomba list all machines on the network and show all the shares on the server, but do not show any shares on the windows machines.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I would try this from the Linux machine. Knowing the IP of every Win machine, one by one do

nmblookup -A WinIP (list the NAME of the WinIP machine)

smbclient -L NAME -I WinIP (list the shares of the NAME machine at WinIP)

smbclient //NAME/share -I WinIP (Connect to one share on the NAME machine)

If you cannot connect this way, the GUIs will not be able too.

MOttS

I have it all working now. The answer was to reinstall the networking on the Windows machines. I have no idea why this should have been necessary since there was no apparent problem with widos to windows, only linux to windows. I remeber that I had to do this once before some time ago. I wish I understood why these things happen!

Andrew

Hi

At work, our network seems to look like yours: a Mdk9.1 server and several Win98SE clients.

Ive setted it up using MCC tools but it was not perfect: sometime WinExplorer Network neightborhood (neightborhood: what a hard spelling!) well didn't display all the shares, even after a long time so we had to do a Tools/Search/Computer (Outils/Rechercher/Ordinateur) on WinExplorer to read/write on some pcs.

That was not all the time and at first I thought everything was correct.

I found a solution: let Samba be a NT domain master. If you have same problem, let me know I can help

roland

Could I have a copy of your smb.conf file to look at?

I send it doday 15/09

pm'd

here are some guideline i made public as it could interest some and may be some here could improve it.;-)

How to set samba as a NTdomain server for Win95/98 clients

1) Server side: Mdk 9.1

!! let your firewall share netlogon (see below ) !!

I took the default smb.conf set by MCC wizard

The most relevant changes are:

workgroup = GROUP

security = share

local master = yes

os level = 64

domain master = yes

preferred master = yes

domain logons = yes

[netlogon]

comment = Network Logon Service

path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon

guest ok = yes

writable = no

share modes = no

2) Clients side:

( !!! I'me trying to translate from a french Windows. Hope you could see what I mean .. )

Control Panel->Network

Let only TCP/IP protocol: remove all NETBEUI or IPX/SPX stuff

select Client for Microsoft Network

->Properties

check "Connect on a NT Domain"

enter the group name as domain name. "GROUP" on this case.

Of course reboot all the M$ Win machines

That's all and works well for me :-)

roland