Ksensors not autostarting on KDE startup [solved]

tux99

I have configured ksensors to autostart at KDE startup on my Mandriva 2009 installation, but it never starts up automatically, it works fine on Mandriva 2008.1 and in 2009 if I start it manually.

Anyone knows why, how do I fix this?

I'm using KDE 3.5.10 on 2009, fully updated.

Thanks!

Edited by tux99

I used to fix that problem by opening Konqueror as root, going into /usr/bin and copying ksensors then pasting it into /home/account/.kde/autostart

Then rebooting.

Haven't had to do that in 2008-Spring or 2009 so I don't know what is the cause of your problem but at least this work around should get you to go.

Cheers. John

I used to fix that problem by opening Konqueror as root, going into /usr/bin and copying ksensors then pasting it into /home/account/.kde/autostart

Yes that works, thanks ('cd ~/.kde/Autostart; ln -s /usr/bin/ksensors' from a konsole actually, no GUI nonsense for me ;) ).

I'm still curious to know why it didn't work without this workaround though...

I think it must have something to do with the changes in 2009 to make kde3 and kde4 coexist as kde3 stuff is now located unde /opt/kde3 while the ksensors package in 2009 is still the 2008.1 package, so probably the config files are not in the right places for 2009.

What's weird though is, that it works for you, unless that's because you are using kde4?

Edited by tux99

You can also simply right-click on your ksensors icon in the kicker > configure > global settings > Startup, and check the 'Autostart Ksensors on KDE startup' box.

That's what I have, and that's what's not working in 2009 for me!

In 2008.1 it works fine, but in 2009 that option appears to be ignored, at least here in my installation.

Edited by tux99

I'm using KDE3.5.10 with 2009.0 and it works for me. You must have a config file left from your previous 2008.1 install, or a config file from KDE4?

Just for completeness, the config file is ~/.kde/share/config/ksensorsrc and the line you need is in the [General] section

[General]
AutoStart=true

Anyway, I'm glad you've got it working.

Hi Greg.

I am currently in 2008-Spring and have ksensors working. I haven't had to use my workaround and I just checked what you suggested and I don't have that either so there must be something else involved as well. :D

Weird, huh ???.

Cheers. John.